Looking for decent BD-R media in US

So I’ve been looking for some media for a Lite-On 112 I am getting,
and there’s not much info out there, aside from here. I have seen
recommendations for Panasonic and TY, but at $2 or more per disc.
Apparently the good JVC have dried up, and even Verbatims are out-
sourced now, and quality is no longer predictable. I would like a 25
disc cake box of decent bdr’s to backup movies. I was hoping to get
them for a total of about $30. Is Smartblu from MMM by best shot?
I just hate to spend $10 “shipping” on $20 worth of discs.

Newegg has these blu-ray . You can try one . I used a few of these and I also ordered from megamall.

Hi filedog :flower:

You’re right about Panasonics being the best burning discs in the 112. If you can’t bring yourself to spend the $1.68 ea., Smartblu would be my next choice or Melody INFOMER30s if you are just backing up video. No professional longevity testing on the INFOME yet, but burn quality is up there with the best, and my own are holding up very well.

My own Quality/longevity tests on Panasonic, Smartblu, Infomedia, and the Optical quantum that were mentioned.

You have seen the longevity/quality that Panasonics can give you in the 112?

[QUOTE=scotton;2665080]Newegg has these blu-ray . You can try one . I used a few of these and I also ordered from megamall.

I’m getting ready to place an 'egg order, but I have not heard such good things about OQ. Did you get smartblu from MMM? If so, how do they compare to the OQ?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2665112]Hi filedog :flower:

You’re right about Panasonics being the best burning discs in the 112. If you can’t bring yourself to spend the $1.68 ea., Smartblu would be my next choice or Melody INFOMER30s if you are just backing up video. No professional longevity testing on the INFOME yet, but burn quality is up there with the best, and my own are holding up very well.

My own Quality/longevity tests on Panasonic, Smartblu, Infomedia, and the Optical quantum that were mentioned.

You have seen the longevity/quality that Panasonics can give you in the 112?[/QUOTE]

WOW, lots of info in one concise post! The Pannys look great, just too expensive for now. This is my first try at Bluray recording. Man, those scans are compelling. The Smartblu looks great, but the Melody is tempting, especially at that price! I do like free shipping… : ) Thanks for putting that all together for me.

I see the 4X Philips BD-R is Informedia. Does anyone know if these 6X are too?
http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-BD-R25GB-Blu-Ray-Cake-Accessories/dp/B00551XMWC/ref=zg_tr_668575011_1

I have not had any problems with both. I ordered 75 disks from megamall so the shipping was not too bad. Maybe wait till tomorrow for black friday -megamall will have a sale??
Happy Thanksgiving!

[QUOTE=filedog;2665173]I see the 4X Philips BD-R is Informedia. Does anyone know if these 6X are too?
http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-BD-R25GB-Blu-Ray-Cake-Accessories/dp/B00551XMWC/ref=zg_tr_668575011_1[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking and giving me a chance to remind about the realities in the Blu-ray market :). I swear, I am tempted to put together a rescue team to monitor online forums and help save people from the non-stop bait and switch tactics of the brands that are selling BD-R.

First, Philips stopped making BD-R some time ago. That name on a spindle of discs now is simply a selling tool for whoever happens to be paying Philips to use the name. In the Americas, CMC magnetics Taiwan currently owns the right to sell “Philips” media in the US. You will get CMCMAGBA5 BD-Rs in that spindle you linked to. You would get CMCMAGBA3 in a 25GB 4x “Philips” spindle in the US. On the other continents, a “Philips” spindle will contain whatever discs are chosen by the company currently licensing the name.

The same game is going on with big brands like TDK, Sony, and Verbatim around the world.

Optical Quantum is a brand name invented by Vinpower. Vinpower has been in the business of making and selling duplication towers and accessories for years, now. They don’t make any optical media. They buy discs from whoever they choose and sell them in their labeled spindles. In my experience, they choose to make a profit from selling cheap, variable quality media a little too much.

Falcon sells Falcon BD-Rs. Period. Made at the same location, same materials, same production lines. On rare occasions, you can find private labeled Falcons, like SmartBlu.

Falcon licensed TDK’s excellent BD-R designs(which TDK claimed 100 year longevity for), and continue to make those now that TDK(Imation) has abandoned them in pursuit of higher profits selling lower quality discs.

Panasonic sells Panasonics, and the evidence continues to show that they can be trusted for high quality and longevity.

Infomedia is a relative newcomer to the world of BD-R. But so far, the rather extensive testing that has been done around here on them(thanks Jadburner and all :flower:) makes it appear that they might also be one of the best choices in the US among lower cost BD-R. Infomedias came around in 2010, and burners with older firmwares may not be ready for them.

Sorry for the wordy post :o, but its a dangerous jungle out there in the world of BD-Rs right now :wink:

Oh yeah, I understand, it’s been the same with Cds and DVDs. I saw a post here that showed the Philips BD-R 4Xs as Informedia. That’s why I wondered if the 6Xs were too.
http://club.myce.com/f179/infomedia-bd-r-322873/#.UK6jDYaRa8E
I don’t run my discs thru a printer, so I like the labeled ones. I guess I will get Smartblu…