Looking for compatible CD-RW Software

vbimport

Hope someone can help me...

I have Win 2000 Pro. with a TDK VeloCD 16/10/40XA burner. Nero (version 5.5.2.8 TDK) and InCD(version 2.26.0) came bundled with the burner. I can burn mp3's on a cd-r with no problem. However my hard drive is getting quite full and I'd like to remove those files and store them on a CD-RW. Whenever I try dragging and dropping them nothing happens but an "Illegal Request error". After looking on a couple of threads I realized that InCD wasn't the most user friendly software. I uninstalled it but left Nero intact, and can still burn cd's. How can I move those old mp3's onto a cdrw for later use. Should I use Direct CD? Would it cause conflicts with Nero and or Win2K? Should I install an upgraded version of InCD? Any would be much appreciated, thanks

Originally posted by alter_ego
…How can I move those old mp3’s onto a cdrw for later use. Should I use Direct CD? Would it cause conflicts with Nero and or Win2K? Should I install an upgraded version of InCD? Any would be much appreciated, thanks
Steer clear of DirectCD. D/L latest version of Nero as new version of InCD is better behaved. I have run InCD (with updates) since July 01 with no major problems. InCD’s biggest beef is that it does not like starting up with lots of other StartUp apps; although my little guy is now happy at about number 6 of 12-13 startups on my system. Try starting InCD after you get to the desktop and see what happens. Hmmm…why use CD-RW? Why not burn them onto a cheapish but goodish CD-R? Copy over a playlist as well, limit the files to 350 (max for most MP3 players) and you can drag & drop them from Explorer to the disk then onto any other medium you like. The formatting on a CD-RW for packet writing will take up over 100 MB. I just bought another disk (40 GB - cheap as chips here) for songs. I have cobbled together a PII 400 as a storage server on the home network for images (60 GB & 40 GB) and the 40 GB for songs as well as a 6 GB for “drivers”, licenced software, etc, etc. Now, I just use packet writing for backup & transportation of specific files.

I’ve blabbed on a bit, but if you can, just use CD-Rs, think about another disk for all of your songs & update Nero

Just an additional comment: you can write to CD-RW discs using Nero. Just make a new compilation with your MP3 files. Make sure it’s a data compilation, else Nero will convert them to WAV files and create an audio disc. When you’ve set-up your compilation start writing. The write speed will automatically be changed to the write speed the CD-RW disc and drive can handle. Most of the times this will be either 4x (old drives and discs), 10x (more modern) or 12x (fastest, modern drives/discs). This way you can use the full capacity of the disc without losing 100MB to packet formatting. Of course you could just use a CD-R disc like FP said. They’re not very expensive anymore and cheaper than CD-RW discs.

Just my two cents :wink: