Looking for cheaper wireless access

vbimport

Hello,

I need a way to connect a laptop via wireless at sites other than home. The carriers such as ATT and verizon cost upwards of $70 for like 5GB. Setting up my Galaxy 3 as WAP (ATT) is real expensive. Does anyone know of any cheaper providers?

Thanks

Starbucks has ‘free Wi-Fi’ but at three dollars and up for a cup of coffee you have to question the ‘free’…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2687212]Starbucks has ‘free Wi-Fi’ but at three dollars and up for a cup of coffee you have to question the ‘free’…[/QUOTE]

You know, I did that for about two months before I finished grad school. I have to say, its a major pain in the fungo. Going to different coffee shops, restaurants, etc just to get wi-fi access ended up costing me more than an internet connection would have if I had still been living in my apt. Plus you weren’t guaranteed that just because they offered free wi-fi, that the wi-fi would actually be working. Then there’s finding a table to sit, a plug for the laptop cord…

Also, last time I was at Starbucks, you could get a cup of coffee for around 2 bucks depending on the size. It’s the fru fru JColdfart drinks with sugar and whipped cream that are expensive.

Well i’m not looking for a wifi spot. I knew of those.

[QUOTE=coolecho;2687217]Well i’m not looking for a wifi spot. I knew of those.[/QUOTE]

You can try this site. Don’t know if it will help you.

http://internet.clear.com/

Mr. Bill

Really, cheap no. But there are some alternatives. Whether they are cheap enough for you is another matter.

Comcast supposedly has free wifi zones here in some areas of the city that are available to its customers.

Virgin has a pay as you go plan as well as some others:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband-plans/broadband-2-go/overview/

Sprint offers unlimited internet, though that may change and I don’t know if that includes tethering(I doubt it but you never know)

I shudder to mention them due to their bad habit of selling service without actually establishing a quality network first, but Clear used to have something as well.
http://www.clear.com/plans/on-the-go

Cricket has some no contract plans:

Excellent. Hopefully one of these have something affordable. I’m already paying enough for Att 450min plan with I think 5gb internet. Ill call Att anyway as well to see what the phone hot spot rate Is. I’m pretty sure it’s > $100.
Thanks!

If you live close enough to a free wi-fi network such as McDs you can get a directional pickup antenna that will work within about 3 miles or so.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2687212]Starbucks has ‘free Wi-Fi’ but at three dollars and up for a cup of coffee you have to question the ‘free’…[/QUOTE]
Starbucks coffee is 5.60 cents a cup where I live and if you take too long drinking it, they ask you to leave;)

I have AT&T DSL & though I haven’t tried it they are supposed to have “free” hot spots. Both a Starbucks & a McDonalds fairly near me are listed.
Couldn’t a person just stay in their car & access the wi-fi inside Starbucks ?

I may have to get an antenna & give that a try sometime.
Maybe a tutorial by G_Ivan Awfulitch.
How to connect the antenna to your laptop .
Or Home network.

With a T-Mobile 4G laptop stck or a T-Mobile 4G Mobile Hotspot purchased at Walmart, you can get a 60 day T-Mobile prepaid Mobile BroadBand pass for either $35 for 3.5GB of data, or $50 for 5GB of data.

[QUOTE=coolecho;2687224]Excellent. Hopefully one of these have something affordable. I’m already paying enough for Att 450min plan with I think 5gb internet. Ill call Att anyway as well to see what the phone hot spot rate Is. I’m pretty sure it’s > $100.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

That would be the route I would check on first alot of carriers now have wifi card that you addon to your subscription that gives you wifi access as thought your at home to use where you can get mobile connection.

It would also be worth checking prepay voice plans to see if any offer a decent data bundle. If you’re currently on a prepay plan, then it should be just a matter of switching to one with a better data plan.

For example, the provider 3 in Ireland has prepay Internet which costs €15 for 1GB or €25 for 7.5GB for a 30 day period.

However, 3’s prepay voice plan gives unlimited Internet access as long as the phone is topped up by €20 a month. The fine print says 15GB fair use, which is over double the fixed 7.5GB cap on their prepay Internet.

The only catch I came across with using data on my prepay voice plan is they provide an internal IP address, like using public Wi-Fi. However, e-mail, Internet, Skype, VoIP, etc. all seem to work fine with my laptop tethered with the phone.

[QUOTE=cholla;2687261]Couldn’t a person just stay in their car…[/QUOTE]
Folks, we REALLY need to pick on Cholla about this. He’s in Texas. Land of tundras? Land of cool arctic breezes? NOOOO.

[I][B]“Man baked in car. Wireless signal strong, though.”

:stuck_out_tongue:
[/B][/I]

[QUOTE=cholla;2687261]I have AT&T DSL & though I haven’t tried it they are supposed to have “free” hot spots. Both a Starbucks & a McDonalds fairly near me are listed.

I may have to get an antenna & give that a try sometime.
Maybe a tutorial by G_Ivan Awfulitch.
How to connect the antenna to your laptop .
Or Home network.[/QUOTE]
You need to get a " wireless repeater" and hide it in the bathroom of the Starbucks, then you could get it within a quarter mile.

I had a contract job in Portland OR some years back and that’s what I did for internet. Actually not at a Starbucks but at the library and also in a parking lot that overlooked a bunch of apartment complexes. I used to have a map but nowadays everyone has Wi-Fi and a lot isn’t secured.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2687300]I used to have a map but nowadays everyone has Wi-Fi and a lot isn’t secured.[/QUOTE]

shhh…You gave away a great WiFi access resource… lol…

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2687286] [I][B]“Man baked in car. Wireless signal strong, though.” [/B][/I][I][B]:p[/B][/I]
[/QUOTE]
Hi Christine , I guess that wouldn’t be me or I would know if it worked.
I wouldn’t get baked that’s what AC is for.
Or froze either as my pickup heater works too.
For those without either better go inside.
On the other hand I probably would just park under a tree . McD’s has a couple & sit on the tail gate.

If I wanted I could pick up my neighbors wireless signal, its not secured and I get all five bars, but I am not that kind of person, my cost is only 45bucks a month for cable access, so I have my own network. LOL.

[QUOTE=cholla;2687336]I wouldn’t get baked that’s what AC is for.[/QUOTE]
Yes… avoid a $5 cup of coffee for $4-a-gal gasoline as I idle for a few hours. Hubby would LOVE to hear about me doing THAT! ha ha

There are jokes about people, uh, liquidly-relieving themselves on electrical lines and receiving a shocking rebuke. I wonder if, instead of baking myself in the car if I could electrocute myself from a sweaty contact with the keyboard? Hmmm…

I never am tempted to exercise Hubby’s suggestion about my tongue in the light-socket to ‘see if it really works’. “What about a fork, then?”

See what I have to put up with?

MY WORST EXPERIENCE WITH STOLEN WIRELESS…

One of my shop-neighbors didn’t use any security on his wireless network and one day didn’t have Internet connectivity. And his Time Warner TV wasn’t working. We did all the reboots, even went out back in the shop-alley to check line-connections. Everything was fine. After a half of day of head-scratching and useless tests, he called TimeWarner.

They terminated his service because of his spamming emails.

Huh?

Someone had learned of his unsecured wireless and would sit, nearby, and spam out Male Enlargement Offers and Hair Recovery Aid Offers by the hundreds of thousands in a week’s time. TimeWarner received complaints, investigated and came up with this neighbor’s IP address.

They re-engaged services quickly enough, and he secured it ever after. That was the worst of my personal experiences with ‘stolen’ wireless services. It could have been worse, too.