Looking for cdr's with a blue bottom

vbimport

high all im new here so go easy on me!

im looking for somewhere in the uk that sells cdr’s that have a colour bottom ie blue, the reason being is that i hav a cd deck that has trouble reading most discs with a silver bottom,

the reason im asking is because i took the player to a shop to be looked at because i thought it was faulty and i was told it was the quality of disc i was using because a lot of the cheap discs out there hav a reflective bottom that the laser has trouble reading so i was told to look for a brand that has a colour bottom.

please can someone help.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mark e;2069629]high all im new here so go easy on me!

im looking for somewhere in the uk that sells cdr’s that have a colour bottom ie blue, the reason being is that i hav a cd deck that has trouble reading most discs with a silver bottom,

the reason im asking is because i took the player to a shop to be looked at because i thought it was faulty and i was told it was the quality of disc i was using because a lot of the cheap discs out there hav a reflective bottom that the laser has trouble reading so i was told to look for a brand that has a colour bottom.

please can someone help.:)[/QUOTE]

Hi Mark e,
a media quality or compatibility has nothing to do with its color, it’s just a colored polycarbonate which makes their color.
Or maybe they meant cyanine or AZO media, especially the cyanine ones are a little bit more compatible with older players than green (phtalocyanine ones).
If they won’t work, you may try some Princo or Lead Data CD-Rs, they are for some strange reason very compatible with old CD players which have a problems with playing of other kinds of CD-Rs. But they are a very hard to get and quite a poor quality.
Try some CD-Rs made by Taiyo Yuden, they are the best media you can get:
http://svp.co.uk/product/verbatim_cd_minus_r_48x_pastel_cd_minus_r_(43417)_1085_box
http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product_id=15457
http://bigmaggot.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden-CD-R-48x-Unbranded-Silver-Top-Blue-Dye-100-Cello-pr-456.html

I do not want to question the credibility of the shop you went to, but I would not go back there any more.
I am not sure how old is you CD player, but if really old, than the problem could be that it may not read any writable media correctly.
Purchased CD is pressed so pits are very distinct, where burned CD use dye as recording layer. Dye does not have pits as distinct as pressed CD so reading head cannot generate correct output.
This happen to all players sold before writable media started to be popular with general public.
It was all corrected later.

[quote=CDuncle;2069666]I do not want to question the credibility of the shop you went to, but I would not go back there any more.
I am not sure how old is you CD player, but if really old, than the problem could be that it may not read any writable media correctly.
Purchased CD is pressed so pits are very distinct, where burned CD use dye as recording layer. Dye does not have pits as distinct as pressed CD so reading head cannot generate correct output.
This happen to all players sold before writable media started to be popular with general public.
It was all corrected later.[/quote]

its a pioneer cdj 1000 mk2 i brought it off ebay last week for £450 its only 2 years old, the guy at the repair shop said the laser is so powerfull that a lot of cheap discs will reflect the laser back causing it not to read and that the best discs to buy are the ones that are not so reflective like the colour discs, ive brought 3 different brands and none of them work ie maxell / tdk / sony.

ive heard that these cdj’s only read certain cdr’s but i would of thought something that cost £750 each new would read any disc:sad:

Look for Verbatim Digital Vinyl 16X CDs.

[QUOTE=mark e;2069752]its a pioneer cdj 1000 mk2 i brought it off ebay last week for £450 its only 2 years old, the guy at the repair shop said the laser is so powerfull that a lot of cheap discs will reflect the laser back causing it not to read and that the best discs to buy are the ones that are not so reflective like the colour discs, ive brought 3 different brands and none of them work ie maxell / tdk / sony.

ive heard that these cdj’s only read certain cdr’s but i would of thought something that cost £750 each new would read any disc:sad:[/QUOTE]

You are right, this unit should play almost anything. According to specs, it will play CD, CD-R/-RW. Did you try to play commercial CD? If it does not play those , than there is something wrong with it, they are silver, writable usually have some colour, it depends on dye used.
I think this talk about strong laser is lots of nonsense.
The brands you use should be fine. I have some Fujifilm, they are kind of light green-blue.
It is true some players are little choosy about writable media, but this is new DJ unit.

[quote=CDuncle;2069971]You are right, this unit should play almost anything. According to specs, it will play CD, CD-R/-RW. Did you try to play commercial CD? If it does not play those , than there is something wrong with it, they are silver, writable usually have some colour, it depends on dye used.
I think this talk about strong laser is lots of nonsense.
The brands you use should be fine. I have some Fujifilm, they are kind of light green-blue.
It is true some players are little choosy about writable media, but this is new DJ unit.[/quote]

it reads original discs and burnt discs but it wont read discs ive burnt over the past year…

[QUOTE=mark e;2070397]it reads original discs and burnt discs but it wont read discs ive burnt over the past year…[/QUOTE]

I do not want to disappoint you too much, but it is quite possible that those discs went bad. This happen with writable media, more so with a cheep one. Some claim if you use sticky labels, disc can go bad, specially CD since top layer is just a thin cover for media. I do not have that experience.
I would suggest if you can play them in your computer drive, re burn them to new disc.
If they do not play on computer, they are gone.