Looking for best Blu-Ray PC drive

vbimport

Hello,
I’m diving into Blu-Ray ripping for the first time after years of DVD ripping. Is there any list of the best multi-region BD internal drives for ripping my Blu-Ray discs onto blank media? Or drives that have alternate firmware like the old Pioneer internals had for reading and ripping multiregion discs?
If there is a link I could read, I’d appreciate it.

I’d also love it if this same internal Blu-Ray drive could also read and burn multi-region DVDs as well.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=tinpanalley;2627890]Hello,
I’m diving into Blu-Ray ripping for the first time after years of DVD ripping. Is there any list of the best multi-region BD internal drives for ripping my Blu-Ray discs onto blank media? Or drives that have alternate firmware like the old Pioneer internals had for reading and ripping multiregion discs?
If there is a link I could read, I’d appreciate it.

I’d also love it if this same internal Blu-Ray drive could also read and [B]burn multi-region DVDs as well.[/B]

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You like to joke, right?!

I wasn’t aware that Blu-ray drives couldn’t burn DVDs. A Blu-Ray drive can read DVDs so I thought a writer could burn them too.

Haha, not what I meant.

Of course can a BD drive also burn DVDs.

The point is about “multi-region”. Same as with DVDs, except that BD has only 3 regions.

Ok, so any recommendations on internal drives for this?

Its hard to choose.

Check this: http://club.myce.com/f142/

2 questions:

1. Do these drives need hacked firmware like with the DVD internal drives? So they can read everything?
  2. Will my PS3 be able to play any burned blu-ray discs?

You won’t find much in the way of hacked firmware for blu ray drives. There may be some to enable reading and writing dvds from different regions, but as the article at Wikipedia states: [I]Unlike DVD region codes, Blu-ray region codes are verified only by the player software, not by the optical drive’s firmware.[/I]

The PS3 will recognize any video with Cinavia digital audio watermarks, so no, it will not play a copy of a movie that has this particular type of DRM. There is no solution at the present time for Cinavia protection, other than playing back copies in hardware that doesn’t support Cinavia.

Ok, so basically, unlike with DVDs, it doesn’t matter what reader/burner you buy, what matters more is what machine you’ll be using to play back the disc. Is that correct?

[QUOTE=tinpanalley;2628052]Ok, so basically, unlike with DVDs, it doesn’t matter what reader/burner you buy, what matters more is what machine you’ll be using to play back the disc. Is that correct?[/QUOTE]

Kerry’s tip to start researching cinavia protection on PS3’s and standalone players is a good one. I’ve avoided trouble by not updating my standalone players firmwares. This problem does not apply to computer playback currently.
As far as drives go, it is not different from DVD ripping. It does matter what drive you buy. A drive that is not region-locked(RPC2) and does not have built-in read speed reduction for commercial discs is still a good choice. An iHBS112 is such a drive and is my best drive for ripping Blu-rays. It also handles burning pretty well.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2628147]Kerry’s tip to start researching cinavia protection on PS3’s and standalone players is a good one.[/QUOTE]
Ok, cool, although I really don’t mind getting another Blu-Ray player if there are cheap ones that are going to do the trick better. But yes, I need to read up on cinavia and other protection methods. I read yesterday somewhere that a PS3 won’t read a commercial disc backup with menus and everything and will only play ripped movie files. I guess they meant the .VOBs of blu-ray minus menus. Anyway not necessarily keen on doing gaming AND watching on the same device. Unless it’s not an issue?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2628147]As far as drives go, it is not different from DVD ripping. It does matter what drive you buy. A drive that is not region-locked(RPC2) and does not have built-in read speed reduction for commercial discs is still a good choice.[/QUOTE] That’s great to know, thanks! And I guess those are specs that can be found easily?

Is there a Pioneer drive you guys would recommend? I’ve always liked them.

Hey everyone. Thanks again for all the help.
I got a LiteOn iHBS112-29 and a pack of Verbatim Single Layer non-LTH BD-R
Hopefully this will give me everything I need:

• primarily backing up audio/video data from my harrdrive
  • ripping and burning discs for future Blu-Ray players (and maybe my PS3 if there’s ever a solution)

Not possible for Ps3, you should know that by now.

[QUOTE=tinpanalley;2628229]Hey everyone. Thanks again for all the help.
I got a LiteOn iHBS112-29 and a pack of Verbatim Single Layer non-LTH BD-R
Hopefully this will give me everything I need:

• primarily backing up audio/video data from my harrdrive
  • ripping and burning discs for future Blu-Ray players (and maybe my PS3 if there’s ever a solution)[/QUOTE]

That is an excellent recipe to get you off to a good start. You might be tempted to burn those Verbatims as fast as the Lite-on will allow you to, and they would probably survive such treatment. But for Blu-ray movie backups, burning near rated speed will be your best bet for smooth stand-alone Blu-ray player playback. Do you already have Blu-ray backup/copy/shrink software?

[QUOTE=chef;2628279]Not possible for Ps3, you should know that by now.[/QUOTE]
I was told this in another forum… “discs for PS3 have to be in certain format to be read if i’m not mistaken. Ripped to a certain codec but you won’t get the menus, just the video files”

Well, anyway, if my PS3 won’t be possible because of Cinavia then I should start looking into options for a new blu-ray player that can.

[QUOTE=tinpanalley;2628375]Well, anyway, if my PS3 won’t be possible because of Cinavia then I should start looking into options for a new blu-ray player that can.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Not all Blu-ray players sold at this point have the cinavia protection problem built-in. There is speculation that some BD player manufacturers may choose not to use it. Now is the time to Google Blu-ray player without cinavia and grab one to avoid problems. The list of movies that contain the cinavia protection is not huge. Yet. You may not run into trouble with it for a while. But best to be proactive and get an untainted player now while the gettin’s good ;).

Hey all,
Got my LiteOn iHBS112 in the mail yesterday. Would have been 2 days sooner but Amazon decided they didn’t have any left of the one I ordered in their discount warehouse so they sent me an empty box with bubble wrap instead so I complained, got a complimentary credit on top of my refund and went to newegg where I should have gone in the first place. Ugh… anyway.

So, my question now is, should I continue to use the same software I have been for burning or are there some other programs people prefer for blu-ray? I use Nero for data burning, DVD Decrypter and Imgburn for ISOs. I guess I’ll need something new for ISOs?

Finally, as far as I know there’s no problem reading discs from other regions with this drive and burning them to watch on my computer, but is there a set of instructions for how best to do this?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=tinpanalley;2628998]Hey all,
Got my LiteOn iHBS112 in the mail yesterday. Would have been 2 days sooner but Amazon decided they didn’t have any left of the one I ordered in their discount warehouse so they sent me an empty box with bubble wrap instead so I complained, got a complimentary credit on top of my refund and went to newegg where I should have gone in the first place. Ugh… anyway.

So, my question now is, should I continue to use the same software I have been for burning or are there some other programs people prefer for blu-ray? I use Nero for data burning, DVD Decrypter and Imgburn for ISOs. I guess I’ll need something new for ISOs?

Finally, as far as I know there’s no problem reading discs from other regions with this drive and burning them to watch on my computer, but is there a set of instructions for how best to do this?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I find Imgburn to be the best option for burning data or video to BD-R. As well as ISO’s. I use ANYDVD HD to rip a Blu-ray to the hard drive and BD Rebuilder to fit it to a 25GB BD-R. Usually choosing movie-only for anything over 30GB to preserve video quality. BDRB does an outstanding job of preserving that quality. You will be hard-pressed to detect a difference between most originals and re-encodes. BDRebuilder can also automatically give you it’s output in ISO form via ImgBurn to enable you to view the result before burning it with VirtualCloneDrive and any playback software you might use like PowerDVD or TotalMediaTheater.

There are also a few freeware BD decrypter programs you may wish to try found in this thread. I haven’t tested them yet.

Regions completely cease to be an issue with the likes of ANYDVD HD.