Looking for App that

July 29, 2006

Hello,

As an old retired guy (boy it is great) who has completed transferring most of his very vintage vinyl music albums to CDs and who is now undertaking the transfer of the family VHS movies to DVD, I joined the club as a resource of answers to questions that may arise.

So far since the weather here in St. Louis, Missouri, US, has been it’s normal self, (uncomfortably hot & humid) I have been spending the time inside working on my new project.

Recently with the help of suggestions the club forum and personel friends, I fixed a problem that I was having while trying to burn avi files from a newly installed Seagate 250GB HD to a newly installed Plextor 760A DVD burner. After I applied a BIOS upgrade, the problem was solved.

Now, I am trying to deal with some old VHS tapes and dropped frames while doing the video capture. Turning off unused background apps, Norton, etc. cleaning the VCR heads, it’s trial by error but it’s getting better.

By the way, I am using an older release of Pinnacle Studio (V 7) and a DC10 Plus capture board which I purchased back when I had the first incarnation of my PC built.

But, that issue is not an issue with our newer VHS tapes, so I will just have to deal with it.

Now the new question.

Is there a way to burn a DVD which combines a variety of separate mpg files (created by my Pinnacle software) AND a master DVD menu so that the separate mpg files can be selected and played one by one. Sort of like selecting Folders of jpg files from a CD?

Is there a sofware app that will do this???

On a test burn of several avi files, my OPPO DVD player played them ok, but played them one after another without pausing between them. I would like to have a menu in order to select a specific family movie from the DVD.

You need a DVD authoring software like dvd lab pro or tmpgeng dvd author.

These softwares can import a mpeg file and convert it into video dvd, creating also menus and chapters.

For a more detailed response, see my reply in the newbie/introduce yourself thread, but in short, I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 (I know they’re already to 8, and I’m not sure, but 9 might even be out by now…), and it gives you a title menu by default, and seems pretty easy to use, from what I’ve seen so far.

I use Sonic MyDVD for that purposes…