Looking for an Optiarc AD-7200a

Like the thread says, I’m looking to purchase an Optiarc AD-7200a and I was wondering if I could get some advice as to which trusted/proven sites may have them available at a decent price. I’ve seen them on two sites so far, one having a better deal then the other and plan to order from there in the next day or so. Shopt4tech being the site. Any advice as to a possible “better” alternative or some confirmation as to Shop4tech being reliable?

Ty for any advice given :flower:

Shop4Tech seems to be reliable based on my observations and experience, and if you look around or wait for one of their coupons, which is usually somewhere between 10% and 17%, you can save a little money.

[quote=DM85;2235971]Like the thread says, I’m looking to purchase an Optiarc AD-7200a and I was wondering if I could get some advice as to which trusted/proven sites may have them available at a decent price. I’ve seen them on two sites so far, one having a better deal then the other and plan to order from there in the next day or so. Shopt4tech being the site. Any advice as to a possible “better” alternative or some confirmation as to Shop4tech being reliable?

Ty for any advice given :flower:[/quote]
Shop4Tech is ok, here subtract 15% with the discount code SB15 at checkout.

Yo DM85-

The better drive is the Pioneer 115D and can be found here:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GearXS__W0QQ_sidZ37465059?_nkw=dvr-115*&submit=Search

I got my backup one from them and they were reliable-eh!!

(btw - I own both (see below) and the 115D is a superior burner IMO)

Ty so much for the code :flower:

I’ll probably order it tonight or some time tomorrow unless someone else knows of a better deal, but 27$ (if my math is correct) is a pretty decent.:slight_smile:

[quote=bigmike7;2236054]Yo DM85-

The better drive is the Pioneer 115D and can be found here:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GearXS__W0QQ_sidZ37465059?_nkw=dvr-115*&submit=Search

I got my backup one from them and they were reliable-eh!!

(btw - I own both (see below) and the 115D is a superior burner IMO)[/quote]

Hmm, tough choice. I actually have a 115d :). I was looking for a solid backup just in case since it’s gotten so much use already. I heard good things about the 7200a and the 115D seemed a bit harder to find. Tough choice indeed. Ty for the link bigmike:flower:.

[QUOTE=DM85;2236067]Hmm, tough choice. I actually have a 115d :). I was looking for a solid backup just in case since it’s gotten so much use already. I heard good things about the 7200a and the 115D seemed a bit harder to find. Tough choice indeed. Ty for the link bigmike:flower:.[/QUOTE]

I called the guys selling the 115D today. First they said they had none, then they said they had 8 and then they said because of the ones promised on eBay they couldn’t sell through their own website. Despite the fact that they said they had 8 and only 3 were available on eBay suggests they had 5 more to sell, but after talking to them for 20 minutes it is pretty clear they are clueless. I placed an order for one through eBay and we will see what I get. He kept talking about the 116 and I kept saying no, the 115.

[QUOTE=DM85;2236055]Ty so much for the code :flower:

I’ll probably order it tonight or some time tomorrow unless someone else knows of a better deal, but 27$ (if my math is correct) is a pretty decent.:)[/QUOTE]

You might get a better deal at Newegg without a coupon or discount:

AD-7221S $23.99
AD-7220A $23.99
AD-7221A $25.99
AD-7200S-01 $25.99
AD-7220S $24.99

I haven’t seen any discussion on the older 7200 vs. the newer 7220. Is this a case like the Pioneer 115 vs. 116 where the older is better? Otherwise, it seems for $23.99 (and free shipping) I would go for a 7220?

Lew

Based on what I’ve read on this forum the 722x series isn’t as good as the 720x series. It seems to be a trend with most brands atm. Pioneer, Samsung, Lite-On and Optiarc have all had less then stellar heirs. Though the Pio 1x6series still seems solid. Starting to lean towards the Optiarc after your experience with the ebay sellers…

[QUOTE=vividere;2236081]I haven’t seen any discussion on the older 7200 vs. the newer 7220…[/QUOTE]

Then you haven’t been paying attention.

The AD-722x series are Lite-On based drives (MediaTek chipset), not NEC-chipset based Optiarcs. The AD-722x drives are based on the Lite-On iHAP322/iHAS322 (DH-22A8P/DH-22A8S)) and iHAP422/iHAS422 (DH-22A8H/DH-22A8L) drives. These drives are OK, but they are not the reason you choose the Optiarc name. They are not real Optiarc drives, but merely rebranded Lite-Ons. If you want a Lite-On, then just buy an actual Lite-On.

The AD-720x series drives are real Optiarc drives, based on an NEC-chipset. Those are the ones you want.

[QUOTE=negritude;2236101]The AD-722x series are LITE-ON based drives, not NEC based Optiarcs.

Do NOT buy the AD-722x. Only buy the AD-720x.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha… Is the AD-720X related in any way to the former NEC ND-3500 series? My very first DVD drive was a NEC and I think it cost $1200. That was a 1X reader…external…

Thanks!

[quote=vividere;2236104]Gotcha… Is the AD-720X related in any way to the former NEC ND-3500 series? My very first DVD drive was a NEC and I think it cost $1200. That was a 1X reader…external…

Thanks![/quote]

Yo-

the 3500 was introduced four+ years ago - todays resemblance would be remote - at best-eh!! :rolleyes:

well…the series might be that old, I have a 3520 which is only 4 years old :slight_smile: I bet the predecessor 3500 was awhile before that… I think my first NEC was a model 1. S/N 2

You might laugh at the $200 +$30 price for it, but they are smart. I used to deal in computer maintenance. A company puts their computers under a maintenance contract. Years later some archaic part breaks. The contract might specify they replace with an identical part. I used to have some ESDI drive controllers that were scrapped…got them for about 1c each…sold them for $200 each…and could have sold 100 if I had them.

There is a greater chance of that happening with something unique…like a motherboard with a floppy controller :slight_smile:

Just ordered it off of shop4tech a few minutes ago.:flower: $27.19 thx to james, thx again for the code:). Hopefully I’ll have a fruitful experience with this site.

[QUOTE=DM85;2236184]Just ordered it off of shop4tech a few minutes ago.:flower: $27.19 thx to james, thx again for the code:). Hopefully I’ll have a fruitful experience with this site.[/QUOTE]

Would please kindly provide the code from which you ordered this? I went to shop4tech, but couldn’t find the AD7200.

TIA

I saw them there the other day but no problem, over 500 here:

http://www.thenerds.net/SONY.20X_DVDRW_SATA_BLACK_20X_R_8X_RW_6X_RW_8X_R_DL_12X_R_DL_24X_RW.AD7200S0B.html

[quote=vividere;2238568]I saw them there the other day but no problem, over 500 here:

http://www.thenerds.net/SONY.20X_DVDRW_SATA_BLACK_20X_R_8X_RW_6X_RW_8X_R_DL_12X_R_DL_24X_RW.AD7200S0B.html[/quote]
that is the 7200S not 7200A

Sorry, couldn’t edit as there is some sort of time limit for editing. Not sure why.

Meant to say: Would you please kindly provide the link from which you ordered this AD7200a? I went to shop4tech, but couldn’t find the AD7200a.

EDIT: Thanks for the link. Well, I guess Shop4Tech doesn’t have the AD7200a any more either.

[quote=Techson;2238581]Sorry, couldn’t edit as there is some sort of time limit for editing. Not sure why.

Meant to say: Would you please kindly provide the link from which you ordered this AD7200a? I went to shop4tech, but couldn’t find the AD7200a.[/quote]
Looks like they are all gone! If u can use SATA the Nerds is the place to find them AFAIK. If I see any I will give a shout.