Looking for an easy to use but reliable video editing software

Here is my situation:

I rent a DVR from my cable company and would like to be able to make commercial-free DVDs from some sports broadcasts.

I have a DVD recorder and am able to record the show from my DVR to a DVD-RW. Then I can copy the VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD-RW to my computer hard drive.

Now I would like a simple but reliable way to edit this video to locate commercials and remove them.

I tried the AVS Video Remaker but not only found it difficult to understand but also it only creates a 5 minute file unless I register and purchase it. That is no way to be able to evaluate a product.

If anyone here can give me some ideas on a software that would accomplish what I want without too much grief, please let me know.

Thanks.

• demux (split into sparate audio and video streams) your vob files with Vobedit or ProjectX (if you use ProjectX, it produces index files which speed up loading the files in the next step)
  • cut out the commercials with Mpeg2Schnitt; v. simple to use and provides frame-level editing. N.B. mpg2 clips must start on an I-frame, but can end on an I-frame or a P-frame; help tips makes this clear in the program.
  • reauthor to DVD if required using GUI for DVD Author.

All the progs mentioned above are free and can be downloaded via http://www.videohelp.com/tools

Sláinte

midders
P.S. just updated my sig with links; been meaning to get round to that for ages…

If you’d like a commercial product that is simple to use, look at VideoReDo TV Suite. They have a fully functional trial available for download. http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2301423]If you’d like a commercial product that is simple to use, look at VideoReDo TV Suite. They have a fully functional trial available for download. http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm[/QUOTE]

Kerry:

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll download and try it tomorrow.

captainvideo

Kerry56:

Video Redo TV Suite did not work.

I downloaded and installed it. I then loaded in the Video_TS.IFO file. It was supposed to be over 1 hour 20 mintutes but only showed a little over two minutes.

I began to play the video and it looked and sounded fine for about 35 seconds but then the video started skipping forward and the audio sounded like a stuck needle on an LP. This did not happen with the AVS Video remaker, so I doubt there is a problem with the IFO file.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

captainvideo

I use the older VideoReDo Plus. To open a dvd, I navigate to the Video_TS folder which shows a list of the VTS files. Highlight all the VTS files by clicking and holding down the left mouse button. Then hit Open. Since you are opening more than one file the program asks to Combine them into one file for editing.

VideoReDo TV Suite is much more advanced in what it can do, but I don’t have it, so I can’t give you exact instructions on how to open the files properly. Apparently you don’t use the Video_TS .IFO file. :slight_smile: My advice is to read the help file.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2301443]I use the older VideoReDo Plus. To open a dvd, I navigate to the Video_TS folder which shows a list of the VTS files. Highlight all the VTS files by clicking and holding down the left mouse button. Then hit Open. Since you are opening more than one file the program asks to Combine them into one file for editing.

VideoReDo TV Suite is much more advanced in what it can do, but I don’t have it, so I can’t give you exact instructions on how to open the files properly. Apparently you don’t use the Video_TS .IFO file. :slight_smile: My advice is to read the help file.[/QUOTE]

I also use VideoReDo Plus, and can vouch for the way you described Kerry.

I would also recommend just the VideoReDo Plus for what captainvideo wanted to do. Just open all the VOBs, select to combine them into one editable video, select Ad-Detective, then let it scan for the ads and automatically cut those out… pretty easy and usually works very well.

Kerry and MBK:

Video ReDo TVSuite is working very well for me after all. I am using the fully functional version which is available for a 15 day trial period.

I just needed to do an extra [B]StreamFix[/B] step to create a correct .MPG file after loading in and combining the .VOBs probably because my Video_TS folder was created on a DVD-RW from a stand-alone DVD recorder. This obviously is different than your standard Video_TS folder on a regular DVD or DVD+R.

The editing of unwanted material is very intuitive and works perfectly. The resulting edits were frame-perfect and there were no pauses at all like you would get at the same spots on a DVD-RAM.

I’ll most likely purchase this product after doing some more testing during the trial period.

Thanks for your help.