Looking for advice

vbimport

Hello,

Looking for some advice… I bought a Sony DRU18a last weekend, and burned a coaster (a data dvd, that kinda works, crc errors) on it’s first burn. Looking to upgrade firmware, I stumbled across this forum, and got some great advice from code65536 to upgrade my firmware to LiteOn 812s. The upgrade to US0F went well (looks my Sony is now a LiteOn!). The next burn went ok (data DVD, and looks good), but took Roxio 6 30 minutes to burn! Me thinks something is wrong here. I have a Sony DRU500a on my other computer and it kicks butt. I used Maxell DVD-R. Interestingly, Roxio only gives me two choices for burn speed: 2x or SmartBurn. I chose SmartBurn. Shouldn’t it be writing faster?

So where do I go from here? code65536 mentioned USOJ firmware too, but I’m thinking something else is not right.

My system:
The DVD drive is Master on the secondary channel (no slave), DMA enabled.
Athalon 64, 3000+
1gb PC3200/DDR 400
Windows 2k, brand new install
Roxio 6 Platinum, latest upgrades

Any help would be appreciated… (I think Roxio should be showing me other choices for write speed)

TIA,

Rick

DOH! Never mind. Shoulda read the Box… the DVD’s are 2x [Blush] That’s what I get for sending the wife to buy dvd’s :slight_smile:

Tried to delete this bugger, but couldn’t… Ok. I’ll go away now…

Originally posted by Mutexx
the DVD’s are 2x [Blush]

Then you probably got discs with the MXL RG01 media code. If you want to burn them at higher speeds like 4x, you can hack your firmware… :wink: (see the last category in Ssseth’s tool collection if you are interested)

Athalon 64, 3000+
1gb DDR 400
8x burner
2x discs :bigsmile: .

Originally posted by booma
Athalon 64, 3000+
1gb DDR 400
8x burner
2x discs :bigsmile: .

Tis the weakest link that proves our undoing once again!