Looking for Advice on Best DVD RW Drive

vbimport

Hi everyone,
I’ve been coming to this forum for over a year now, but I can’t seem to remeber the name that I registered under, so I re-registered. Anyway, I have A Lite-On CD Burner, and DVD-Rom drive, and I love them both. I am now looking at getting DVD Burner.
I have been reading different threads, forums, and articles for the last 4 hrs, and I’m still not sure what to get.

This is what is important to me:
Reliability(No coasters!)
Output quality
Media compatability
Ability to get through CD-protection
Price (more important to my wife)

What’s not important:
Speed (I’m used to ripping to SVCD=7hrs)

Models I’m looking at:
451 (I don’t see a lot of info on this model, is it pretty much the same as a 411?)

I can afford an 812 ($130 @ Zipzoomfly), but I don’t want to pay that much if a 411 ($90) is more reliable.

Thank you very much…

I think the 812S will end up being the most “stable” out of the above drives. My advice you be to wait another couple weeks until more feedback and/or reviews show up on the 812S.

I would buy the 451S/851S over the 411S/811S based on potential overclocking methods, but that doesn’t fit your above needs so I guess that isn’t a factor for you.
Overall though, if you are looking for a drive to use cheap media on, look elsewhere. I would never use ultra cheap media myself so my 811S treats me and my needs great. :iagree:

Originally posted by AirJarhead
[B]Hi everyone,
I’ve been coming to this forum for over a year now, but I can’t seem to remeber the name that I registered under, so I re-registered. Anyway, I have A Lite-On CD Burner, and DVD-Rom drive, and I love them both. I am now looking at getting DVD Burner.
I have been reading different threads, forums, and articles for the last 4 hrs, and I’m still not sure what to get.

This is what is important to me:
Reliability(No coasters!)
Output quality
Media compatability
Ability to get through CD-protection
Price (more important to my wife)

What’s not important:
Speed (I’m used to ripping to SVCD=7hrs)

Models I’m looking at:
451 (I don’t see a lot of info on this model, is it pretty much the same as a 411?)

I can afford an 812 ($130 @ Zipzoomfly), but I don’t want to pay that much if a 411 ($90) is more reliable.

Thank you very much… [/B]

Based on what I see here, it seems that you probably want to avoid the x11S drives. x51S drives seem to work better. And there is just too little info about the 812S. One perk about the 451S, though: it costs about the same as the 411S, and it’s very easy to “upgrade” it to a 851S…

Thank you both for the replies. I think I will wait a few weeks (I’ve already waited this long). As for now, I’m leaning toward the 451 though (I actually haven’t seen any 851s for sale).

SSSeth,
I was looking around and noticed this thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89352

Where you said:

I would get a NEC 2500A and a DVD-ROM drive for the reading(LiteOn or Asus). It’s nice to have a DVD-ROM anyway for faster reading speeds.

Is that just because a Lite-on was not one of his 2 options?

Why is everyone (that owns an NEC) saying the quality of the NEC is SO much better than the Lite-On? Is that really true?

By the way, what is “good” media?
Are the Memorex DVD + - R at Amazon any good?
What about the Fuji - 50-Pack DVD-R Spindle on sale at Best Buy this week?

Thanks again…

Yes, from my own experience I can assure you than the NEC 2500A is MUCH better that my (now dead) LiteOn 811S!

Write quality difference is simply amazing (discs from both drives tested on my colleague Hermy_H’s 411S). As for media type, go for Taiyo Yuden or RicohJPNR01, they both work like a charm here.

Thanks Foxbat. Now for the first time (in a long time), I’m considering buying a non-Lite-On drive (GASP!).

Originally posted by AirJarhead

Why is everyone (that owns an NEC) saying the quality of the NEC is SO much better than the Lite-On? Is that really true?

I’ve done direct comparisons between the 411 and the NEC2500 here:http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89876
As you can see, the NEC2500 outperforms the 411s.

I am very happy with my 451@851 ($175), using DvdShrink and Nero.

Getting good results using Ritek G04 (about $1.50 each - spindle) and TDK (Taiyo Yuden) discs (about $4.00 each - jewel pack).
Fair results with Ritek R02 (dvd+r).

Also Lite-on supports bit-setting for dvd+r (I don’t think Nec does).

I do get crap results burning at 8x thou (Ritek R03 and Ricoh) but you can’t have everything and to be honest burn quality is got to be more important than speed.

Oh and the $ above are Australian $.

See following k-probe scans.

Ty disc

Ritek R02 (dvd+r) - some good - some not (on same spindle)

Ritek R02 - the not so good.

8X burn - Ritek R03

Should mention I am running an antique machine - and I love it.

PIII 800
512 SDRAM
Asus CUSLS-C
IBM 30gb
WD 40gb
Leadtek GF2 MX
Liteon 48161H
Liteon 451s@851s
Dual Boot WinME and WinXP Pro

Here are the reasons I would personally buy a 812S drive.

Thanks Guys,
SSSeth, I did read that thread before. I’m still going to wait to see if the 812 turns out to be as good as people hope. However, the NEC 2500AD is now on my list of possibilities. At least I’ve narrowed it down to 3:
Lite-On LDW-451S
SOHW-812S
NEC 2500AD