Looking for a tool that logs all (chat) messages

vbimport

I usually come here for good advice on recording but I have a real problem I need help with. I need to find a program that I hopefully can load on my daughters pc (she is thirteen) and see what she is messaging to someone, as my wife was a bit suspicious of her PC time and found a Messenger log loaded with her talking about sex to someone she met online. My wife just informed me that she had asked her if we could possibly go to where this person lives to meet with him. The talk was not child like and my wife is sure it is an adult. As soon as I get home I am going to copy the log files I can find. Anyone have any good advice as to reporting this and possibly tracing this person?
Thanks

abuse@<isp>
Such as abuse@telia.com
//Danne

Even if you did email them that I doubt very much that the ISP would hand over his details. The only people ISPs give information to is the police or people/organisations that have a court order (MPAA/RIAA etc).

Anyway, what you need to think about is:

1. Are you sure he is trying to (ultimately) sexually abuse your daughter?
    Alot of people your daughters age are curious about sex, and somebody older with knowledge may be a good way to find out information informally and fairly anonymously. Make sure you are certain his aim was to sexually abuse her before anything else.

2. Why do you want to go and meet the person?
    To beat him up? To warn him not to do it again? To threaten to tell the police? To try and help him?. If you do wish to meet him yourself consider what it is exactly you wish to achieve and what exactly you are going to say. Remember this guy may be violent, consider if you are putting yourself and your daughter at risk.

3. Why was your daughter talking about sex to some guy she didn’t know?
    You really need to talk you your daughter about it, I don’t know you or your daughter, or how you can talk to her, but I would talk in a not angry way, and not getting into embarrassing details.

I would strongly advise you to contact the police and show them the logs, they are the best people to deal with this (mainly because they can get hold of the information about who he is fairly easily). Simplest way to do this is to use your local police force, but if they aren’t helpful then http://www.cybercrime.gov/reporting.htm may be of more help.

Your local FBI office is at:
FBI Albuquerque
4200 Luecking Park Ave. NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87107

(505) 889-1300

So you could always go there, the FBI take child abuse very seriously and im sure would be the best way of reporting it.

Good luck,

Ben :slight_smile:

Call the Police and get that scumbag off the streets. I see it on the news here and on AMW (America’s Most Wanted) I’m sure they will gladly help you!

I agree with every one here when they say report it to the local athority and if they do nothing go even higher. I have 3 little girls and that is what I would do

good luck and I hope everything goes good for you and your family

most messaging programs have a logging feature. if its windows xp, you could also use the remote desktop feature. she might catch on to the 2nd suggestion, though.

if you noted what messenger program it was it’d be easier to give you suggestions.

man i don’t know what to say but…def get the FBI involved …let us know whats going on…i hate to see stuff like this…but handing it over to a gov…office…they have doors open to them that you can never access…just keep your calm.and if i were you …no computer time for her unless an adult was sitting right there with her…

what messenger service is she usingf, that would help us help you more, as already said, most have a logging feature already as an option.

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I contacted the FBI and they will be coming over to scan the pc and have subpeoned the account handlers. Not sure if they can find out anything but hopefully so.
We now have to wait to tell her, the FBI want us to wait till they try and get information on this person. The agent was very concerned and felt my wife was right on her assumptions.
The agents will be interviewing her and that will be very tramatic for her,Takingto her will be tramatic so we have to do this gently, but we are just glad it wasn’t worse. I loaded a spy program on the computer as they want us to leave it running for now. I hate to have to do this but I relly have no choice. There was some logs I found that also involve another young girl with much worse content, they all 3 were messaging. So I hope they find this bastard.
@ bcn_246 Ofcourse my first inclination was to try and find this bastartd and do him harm. Unrealistic but that is how I felt. Who wouldn’t. But thanks for suggesting the FBI, our local police were useless.

Now that is just SAD:sad:. We pay all these dam taxes and the Police that are suppose to be there to serve and to protect wont do nothing.

Sorry but that pisses me off:a

If that was me I would file a complaint on the police department untill something got done to correct the issue and to see that for the next person to contact the police department would be help and not pushed away.

What else they got better to do? eat their dam donuts and coffee?(sorry to rant)

I hope all goes well for you
rfjr23

police departments dont have the resources required to handle a case like this. no crime has been committed unless laws have seriously changed since i last checked. they probably would need the fbi to get access to the records - as the fbi probably has contacts within the company they have quick communication with.

does your police department have a unit to deal with this? mine does not. thank goodness the parent is involved in their childs life, and doesnt just allow them full unsupervised access to the internet.

personally, i would have had her arrange to meet the message buddy at a public place - and beat his ass. but thats what we do with problems like this in small towns :stuck_out_tongue:

I am planning on filing a complaint. The reason I had my wife contact the local police was I had heard that they had just started a new division to hanle these complaints and this is what they did with it. The FBI was on it immediately.
@ ckin2001, believe me that was my first thought also but I don’t think I would stop at beating his @$$ :a :a :a . If this had happened a few years ago I might of went that direction. I have a family that I support and could not do a very good job locked up.

my aunt got a divorce, and had people offer to make “her problem disappear”. those people are scary til you want their services :wink:

@nmpaulcp, keep us informed, I really wanna know how everything went.

I’m quite amazed that some logs and some persons can get out the furious anger of a concerned parent, let alone complete strangers on a world wide forum.

Don’t get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong in protecting your children, but there is a very good possibility that the person on the other side didn’t know he/she was chatting with a 13 year old.

So i hope the Feds do a correct investigation before society again has convicted another innocent victim.

And what’s a 13 year old doing on parts of the internet that can harm her?

Back to the original question: Trillian logs everything and can be used for almost any Instant Messenger type.

Spying on my daughters computer activities is the last thing I wanted to do but The FBI wanted our help in trying to catch this person or I would of put a stop to it immediatley. she initially started on a childs web site chatting we had to sign a form stating she had permission for her to setup an account there. This is where she met this person, who I have found out is twenty. This started out as role playing on the kids site and at his suggestion they started chatting on msn as there are no restrictions as to what can be said and the other site is monitored. This is when the talk about sex and drinking etc has come in.I have kept a log for the FBI with screen shots of the activities, and a keylogger. This has got to be the most stressfull time of my life waiting for the FBI to get their subpeona, at which time they will be coming and taking the pc or harddrive, and interviewing her. This really sucks. In hindsite I should of been montoring better but this is so out of caracter for her, the stuff she is discussing with this person is not like here but the FBI says this is normal and these thing get cultivated over a long period of time. After this is over, She will not be using the pc unless it is not connected to the internet or it will be in my or my wifes presence. I think when the FBI come to interview her that is going to be a very scary to say nothing of embarassing experience. She truly believes this person just had their 13th birthday.

Aha, i get it. The perv deliberately lured your daughter out of protective environment.

This is when the talk about sex and drinking etc has come in.I have kept a log for the FBI with screen shots of the activities, and a keylogger.

I think i would do quite the same if i noticed my daughter is talking to 20 year old perverts.

This has got to be the most stressfull time of my life waiting for the FBI to get their subpeona, at which time they will be coming and taking the pc or harddrive, and interviewing her. This really sucks.

Well not really. One less perv on the earth is a good thing. I compliment the feds on taking this seriously and doing it the right way.

In hindsite I should of been montoring better but this is so out of caracter for her, the stuff she is discussing with this person is not like here but the FBI says this is normal and these thing get cultivated over a long period of time.

Don’t take the blame for something others are causing. Plus you can’t control your kid all the time, can you?

After this is over, She will not be using the pc unless it is not connected to the internet or it will be in my or my wifes presence. I think when the FBI come to interview her that is going to be a very scary to say nothing of embarassing experience. She truly believes this person just had their 13th birthday.

I hope the Feds are very very friendly towards her. Bringing out the cops would make (a 13 year old) me think i did do something horribly wrong and start panicking.

My suggestion would be to make it very (no room for interpretation at all!) clear to her she has done nothing wrong, but her information is necessary to catch that idiot perv to stop him from doing harm to others.

In general i think this is about the same as companies keep telling you NOT to post your personal information and credit card numbers on instant messengers. Once she learns that not all is good on the internet, perhaps she’ll be more careful.

I hope all goes well

What keylogger and/or other program did you install to monitor activities?

I am using Desktop Scout.
@ Mr. B. Thanks for your comments, especially:

"I hope the Feds are very very friendly towards her. Bringing out the cops would make (a 13 year old) me think i did do something horribly wrong and start panicking.

My suggestion would be to make it very (no room for interpretation at all!) clear to her she has done nothing wrong, but her information is necessary to catch that idiot perv to stop him from doing harm to others."

Mate, you definately did the right thing contacting the FBI. That’ll be one less perv on the streets.