Looking for a "specialized" HDTV capture card

My PC:
Dell dimension E310
2.8 P4 w/HT
512 Ram
Intel GMA 900 Graphics – Integrated

I’m trying to find a capture card with TV out capabilities, if that is even possible. I’m using onboard video and it seems to be able to playback HD(H.264 720p) well. I’m not a gamer so I figured a video card would be a waste of money. Anyone have a suggestion?

FYI - I only have PCI or PCI express X1 bus available.

A couple other things… I’m assuming this can be guessed but I need the TV out to connect to my 35 inch Toshiba. I don’t have a video/tv out currently on my PC. I’d like to be able to capture ATSC and NTSC. I haven’t checked out external(USB) capture devices yet, maybe I would have more luck there?

I think your PC is too slow for HD capture and playback. I also had the 2.8Ghz prescott HT CPU and even with the best decoding drivers it could not smoothly playback HD. And I had a high-end video card at the time, so I think your going to be worse off. Also what you see as being smooth 720P may actually have some serious slow downs that will degrade your viewing experience.

If you want us to help you build a new budget system that can handle HD content let us know, but start a new thread. You can do this on the cheap now and without a video card.

If you still want to try a card in your PC then read through the reviews of this card and see if it meets what your looking for: AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe MCE ATSC/NTSC/QAM Tuner Card

If it doesn’t work out then you can always use it in your next PC. Also this card doesn’t solve your problem with outputing the video in HD to your TV. Getting a new MB with HD capabilities built in will.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2243413]I think your PC is too slow for HD capture and playback.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Really? That sucks…

So when they list minimum requirements is it just a money grab to get more ppl to buy their card? Even that AverMedia you listed looks like it is “supposed” to work on my machine.

Here is a couple others with lower requirements then that:

http://3btech.net/hawihvatntqa.html

It almost seems this site suggests that any pentium 4 will work:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3584100&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=TBBTkwCjCVyBpAgf%20mwzygtCjCVRqCjCVRq

[QUOTE=eric93se;2243413]If you want us to help you build a new budget system that can handle HD content let us know, but start a new thread. You can do this on the cheap now and without a video card.[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting… How on the cheap are we talking? Got a ballpark guess?

Okay here’s a build for $377-$20rebate. Normally people are able to reuse their case and PSU, monitor and stuff, but since you have a dell the only thing you could reuse is the monitor. Usually the PSU is non standard. You could also upgrade this to a quad core for a bit more but you probably don’t need the extra power, but if its in your budget you might want to consider going with a higher-end system.

Foxconn A7DA-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
cpu and RAM combo:
X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz and 4GB RAM
Thermaltake Litepower W0293RU 450W ATX12V 2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Rosewill R220-P-BK Black 0.5mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

You would need an OS, keyboard/mouse, monitor, if you don’t already have them.

Capture “should” be fine but playback on the other hand, 720p might work out with a small margin.
//Danne