Looking for a Pioneer 216L replacement

vbimport

I’m currently looking for a successor to my Pioneer 216L burner.
It started to act weird (failing Lead Ins at perfectly fine discs, write errors…).

I have enough drives for scanning, CD-R and DVDR burning, the only important thing is DVD+R DL write quality on all kinds of DL media (MKM, Falcon, Ritek, CMC, cheap China junk etc.)

I’ve made bad experiences with my Optiarc AD-7201S regarding DL media, it’s horrible. Readable burns only with Verbatim media.
The LiteOn iHAS422 isn’t bad but not even close to the Pioneer DVR-216L.

I’d love to buy another NEC Pioneer (x12 ,x15, x16) but they seem to go at very high prices at eBay, even used.

Is the Optiarc AD-7240S any good? Recent Samsung burners?

I’d try a Samsung SH-S243N or an Optiarc AD-7240S. They’re both good DL burners.

And I can’t understand how you had bad experiences with the AD-7201S. That’s one of the best burners ever, including for DL. I’ve got several of them, and they all kick butt.

However, I should warn you that there are very few burners that are going to do a consistently good job on all kinds of second-rate and crappy DL media. That kind of drive simply doesn’t exist anymore (if it ever truly did). The NEC-chipset Pioneers were known for that, but they are no longer manufactured. If you absolutely must have that capability, you’ll probably have to pony up the big bucks for one on eBay.

Thanks negritude.

The 24x Samsung models are not available here yet.
There are 2 or 3 DL scans posted in the Pioneer DVR-218 thread which don’t look too bad. Maybe I should give it a chance.

And yes, I seem to be the only one who had problems with DL media on the 7201S, but it produces very good results on regular DVDR media so I don’t think it’s a hardware problem.

I keep an eye on some eBay auctions for NEC Pioneers but the prices are ridiculous - Plextor like. I’m not going to pay 60€ for a used 112D…

[QUOTE=Womi;2503220]
I keep an eye on some eBay auctions for NEC Pioneers but the prices are ridiculous - Plextor like. I’m not going to pay 60€ for a used 112D…[/QUOTE]

True… probably due to the fact that almost anyone grabbed them for burn their “xbox backups”… :rolleyes: