Looking for a new SSD: which one to buy?

vbimport

Well it’s time to get an SSD drive, the question is which one to get.

Corsair Force F60 Gb or 80GB
OCZ Vertex 2 50Gb
INTEL X25-M 80Gb

Corsair 64GB Nova V64 119 eur
Kingston 64GB V-Series SNV425-S2/64GB 119 eur

If it’s for a desktop PC, then forget the ones with the JMicron controller (Corsair Nova & Kingston).

Out of the three at the top of your list, the Vertex 2 will be the fastest with its full IOPS firmware and that 16GB of over-provisioned NAND.
The only thing that may be a problem is the size of the drive, and how big your Windows install is. This drive can be more or filled to capacity without performance taking a hit.

The Corsair Force series is based on the same SandForce SF1200 that is found in the Vertex 2, but 4K IOPS is capped at 30,000 IOPS compared to 50,000 on the Vertex 2.
In the real world in a desktop PC, you won’t notice a difference in speed.

The Intel G2, IMO is old now and is easily beaten performance wise by the SandForce based drives.

OS installation is 30-40Gb max, i am also tempted to get the corsair nova simply because of the price.

[QUOTE=vroom;2546750]OS installation is 30-40Gb max, i am also tempted to get the corsair nova simply because of the price.[/QUOTE]Your money, so your choice. But I wouldn’t buy that drive. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2546755]Your money, so your choice. But I wouldn’t buy that drive. :)[/QUOTE]
and you know that this is the part when i have to ask [B]why[/B]?

I know that the sandforce is the best you can get, but the corsair nova is not based on jmcron (it should be based on [B]Indilinx[/B]) as far as i know, and also that what corsair is saying on their website.

If it’s based on Indilinx, then no problem.
The Barefoot is a good controller, and if the price is good, then go for it.

Thank you Dee, i’ll go for the [B]Corsair Nova[/B].

Why not go for Samsung new 470 series that performs very good?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2546896]Why not go for Samsung new 470 series that performs very good?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Simply because they are not available in any store here.

Im going with the two OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" SATA-II Read 285MB/s Write 275MB/s going for £104.00 each and setting set up on raid 0
Impressive 505 MBps read and 437 write RAID-0 bandwidth with EVEREST

And if anyone is going to raid these bad boys or any other ssd drives you will need drivers to allow TRIM on intel chipset boards + you also have to be using windows 7

Download here

Oh dear, I have just bought a 128 gb Kingston ssd with thoughts of putting in a desktop. What are the disadvantages?

[QUOTE=Original_OldFart;2547517]Oh dear, I have just bought a 128 gb Kingston ssd with thoughts of putting in a desktop. What are the disadvantages?[/QUOTE]Which model?

[QUOTE=dooby2oon;2547444]Im going with the two OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" SATA-II Read 285MB/s Write 275MB/s going for £104.00 each and setting set up on raid 0
Impressive 505 MBps read and 437 write RAID-0 bandwidth with EVEREST

And if anyone is going to raid these bad boys or any other ssd drives you will need drivers to allow TRIM on intel chipset boards + you also have to be using windows 7

Download here[/QUOTE]

The new drivers only support TRIM on single SSDs with a RAID present on the same controller (which wasn’t possible before). But you still cannot use TRIM on RAIDed SSDs.

If you absolutely need to RAID SSDs, then the SandForce-based drives have the least downgrade in performance over time without TRIM. (The Intel drives lose performance without TRIM worse than others).

Hi, DEE Im going with the OCZ 120 GB Vertex 2 Extended Sata 2.5 SSD for my Desktop PC,
What are the disadvantages?

[QUOTE=Chriscreative;2547567]Hi, DEE Im going with the OCZ 120 GB Vertex 2 Extended Sata 2.5 SSD for my Desktop PC,
What are the disadvantages?[/QUOTE]Providing you don’t hammer the drive with endless benchmarks, and leave some free space on the drive ( I recommend at least 15GB on the 120GB E version), then you’ll have a drive that is currently the fastest SATA SSD around, aimed at the mainstream market.
They are IOP monsters, and scale almost perfectly upto a queue depth of 32, which far exceeds any QD that a normal desktop user will ever require. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2547518]Which model?[/QUOTE]

Hi Dee.

It says on the box SSD FW AGYA0201

The disc has a label with SNVP325-S2/128GB

OOF

[QUOTE=Original_OldFart;2547618]Hi Dee.

OOF[/QUOTE]

Yo-

I have the 64 gb version that is close to that one - installed in my burning computer (see below) that runs Win7 Pro 64 - works like a charm - just don’t expect blazing speed in desktop use-eh. :disagree:

[QUOTE=poee;2547526]The new drivers only support TRIM on single SSDs with a RAID present on the same controller (which wasn’t possible before). But you still cannot use TRIM on RAIDed SSDs.

If you absolutely need to RAID SSDs, then the SandForce-based drives have the least downgrade in performance over time without TRIM. (The Intel drives lose performance without TRIM worse than others).[/QUOTE]

Would seem your right did a bit more research and found…
It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large protect data storage – a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in Intel® RST 9.6.

[QUOTE=Original_OldFart;2547618]Hi Dee.

OOF[/QUOTE]That drive should have the JMicron JMF618 controller which is a lot better than the JMF602/603 controller found in the gen1 drives, but as [B]bigmike[/B] said, they should work well, just don’t expect Sandforce speeds, although they will launch applications many times faster than any HDD can achieve. ;).
I actually think these JMF618 drives are near perfect for a laptop.

SNVP325-S2 would be Toshiba and not jMicron
//Danne