Looking for a new player

I don’t know if it’s the right section but i’m sure it’s the right forum :slight_smile:

I’ve bought a DVD yesterday and i was watching it today. I played it on my comp and i had at least five lock up during the playing. I’m sure that can’t be the dvd cause i’ve opened it just before playing it (no scratch or else on the surface just clean)

I was wondering if that might come from my player (which is more than 2 years old). I’ve checked the prices and most of the players are under 40€, so which one is the best and will it solve my lock ups problems?

Here’s the details of my comp :

AMD Tbred B 1700+@2300 (10.5*220) on Abit NF7-S rev2
512 Mo Twinmos/winbond BH5 DDR PC3200 2-2-2-11
WD 80Go (8Mo cache JB)
IBM 40Go + Maxtor 40Go
Leadtek Ti4400@290/690
Hercules Game theaterXP
DVD-rom 12x-40x, Liteon 40125S@48125W

ps i’m using the microsoft drivers for the ide drivers and DMA is enabled

I’ve done this test so that could tell you a bit more on the drive

ps i had to cut most of it to make it fit in the max size here

my liteon 165-h plays my dvds fine. they’re very cheap and are very good at other things too (ie reading subcodes).

Have you got any other dvds to try? or will it play in a stand alone player?

I haven’t tried in a standalone player but i’m pretty sure it will play fine (the dvd is brand new)
It’s been a while i haven’t watch a dvd on my comp but i’ll try with another dvd tonight

The drive is rated to play dvd at the max speed of 12x however i wasn’t able to go over 6x in the nero test. What’s wrong?

it doesn’t reach max speed cuz the max speed for any dvd drive is for single-layered dvds only, and u ran the test using a dual-layered dvd. in the test u showed, the progression up until the halfway point is the reading of one layer (from the inside of the dvd to the outside) while after the halfway point it is the reading of the second layer (from outside-in). if u were to use a 4.38gb single-layer pressed dvd, the drive should reach 12x by the end of the test (assuming there isn’t any CSS limiting going on).

Alright i didn’t know that, i’ll try with a single layered dvd if i can find one

So you haven’t told me what is the best dvd player out there?

Originally posted by 4nik8
So you haven’t told me what is the best dvd player out there?

Originally posted by hburrows83
my liteon 165-h plays my dvds fine. they’re very cheap and are very good at other things too (ie reading subcodes).

:confused: :confused:

I saw your post don’t worry
I was just trying to get some more feedback before buying anything :slight_smile: