Grabbed from dhc014’s firmware collection
US01 - Dated “2004/01/16 16:38”
US03 - Dated “2004/02/04 21:32”
US05 - Dated “2004/02/12 08:34”
US0A - Dated “2004/02/26 17:33”
US0F - Dated “2004/03/12 18:38”
US0G - Dated “2004/03/22 16:31”
US0J - Dated “2004/04/14 11:17”

Is there any consensus of the realitive qualities of these different versions?
Eg… US0A burns -R better than US0F…

I ask because US0J on my 812 burns +R fantastic but blows chunks on -R.
I have some Sony brand -R TYG01 that I need to burn satisfactorily till used up, then I will go to +R exclusivley

US0A burns -R better than US0J
SONY U18A’S Firmware burns -R better than US0A

The reason I’m asking this is because of the following…
This is not good considering it’s TYG01

It’s not the batch because my BenQ DW-800A with dual firmware B3D7 can do this with it.

And my Optorite DD0203 with firmware 2.30 can do this with it.

Mind you the Optorite and the BenQ can only write -R at 4x and the 812 wrote it at 8x.
I will try one more on the 812 at 4x but I don’t think it’s going to make a whit of difference.

Unhinges jaw, crams foot in mouth…:o :o :o :o
I burned another at 4x, I’m amazed again…
This is a better burn than the BenQ or Optorite above.
This TYG01 just doesn’t like to get stroked at 8x on the 812.
When I look at the scans above I’m betting now that it would do very well at 6x also…

Originally posted by pchilson
Unhinges jaw, crams foot in mouth…:o :o :o :o
I burned another at 4x, I’m amazed again…
This is a better burn than the BenQ or Optorite above.
This TYG01 just doesn’t like to get stroked at 8x on the 812.
When I look at the scans above I’m betting now that it would do very well at 6x also…

wow :eek: … very impressive results from changing JUST the burn speed from 8x to 4x …

Iv found 8x burns of -r media on my 812s also produces very flakey burns, similar to yours, but 4x didnt improve by nearly that much! :o guess this is pointing towards a rule of thumb so long as US0J is around: burn -r TY’s at 4x !!

some more posts would be good

ps. iv never tried a 6x burn

some more posts would be good

ps. iv never tried a 6x burn
Funny you should ask. I just finished this one at 6x
This is a very good result considering the 8x blew…
Not as good as the 4x burn though.
I would recommend 4x on this media.
However I didn’t buy this drive to go in slow motion.
I will stick to +R until the -R strategies improve.

Originally posted by pchilson
I will stick to +R until the -R strategies improve.

I doubt that they will. That media was never meant to be burned greater than 4x, so LiteOn will probably spend no time trying to optimize the 8x strat for it.

Based on what I see here (with that cliff at 8x) and also on the recent positive results with Ricoh R01@R02 and Ritek R01@R03, I’ve come to the conclusion that using speedhacking to increase burning speed is a really crude way of doing things–it’s probably best if it’s also accompanied by some refinement of the writing strat to support the higher speeds (which is what Herrie has been doing for the NEC… unfortunately, this is a very time-consuming and media-expensive task, which is why it hasn’t been done very much for LiteOn drives and why >NIL: doesn’t do it for the Pioneer drives).

So it looks like that right now, the success of speedhacking is dependent on a combination of the disc quality and how lucky we when we force a write strat not designed for 8x to be used at 8x. In the case of the Ricohs, that worked great (but could still be improved upon to get even better results, as we saw), and here, it didn’t really work at all–in certain cases, the strat is playing a much bigger role in deciding success than the disc itself.

I gotta tell you that the 8x burns to RicohJPNR01 using the R02 strategy yield just as good results as if they were coming from a pressed DVD…

Whoever thought that this media was mediocre or poor probably never thought to blame the firmware as the culprit… I also suspect that even with poor media, if the writing strategy is optimized for that media, you may also yield positive results… The problem lies in different manufacturing and a large number of different write strategies for media… I wish it could be universal, but it isnt…

I hope LiteOn takes the step to release firmware that doesnt say MMM (Match More Media) but instead say IWS (Improved Write Stratregies)… But I know it would be too time consuming and of course media-expensive task…

As rdgrimes puts it, Ricoh R00 and Ricoh R01 is the same, except that you can get good 8x results with every batch with the former and not with the latter (hehe). Although I’ve never had a bad Ricoh R01 batch (since I’m still working my way through my first… hehe), I’ll trust his assessment that the media is indeed to blame for R01 problems…

LiteOn does IWS. Write strats have been known to change between MMM releases. I guess they just never announce them on the webpage. :wink: And LiteOn definitely has the manpower and media to do IWS changes, but unfortunately, they won’t bother with the kind of IWS changes that we want–like those that would make speedhacking work better (can’t blame them; why would they optimize the 8x strat for 4x media if the official firmware won’t allow 8x in the first place?). :sad:

@Code65536

Yea, your right! They do IWS changes with firmware releases, but sometimes for certain media, they are few and sometimes no changes to their write strategies… A good example would be the US0J firmware if you compare it using the RICOHJPNR01 media and previous firmwares because for me its shown a remarkable improvement even in its unmodified form…

But I just dont understand how most folks see a worse writing strategy when they upgrade to a newer firmware…

To be honest: All 4x DVD-R’s I’ve tried at 8x with modded firmware sucks :stuck_out_tongue:

Only 4x DVD+R seems to work acceptably at 8x with the speed up tricks.

@Hypnosis

With the exception of the error hike that I get with the disc slowdown at the end with a 8x Ricoh burn, my experience has been that each new firmware is better. I myself am currently using the latest and greatest (even though my sig doesn’t quite reflect that :p). :wink: But people in the _11S camp seem to have a different experience. :confused:

@OC-Freak

Did you mean that 4x -R burned at 8x using modded firmware on any burner doesn’t turn out well? Even the NEC? Interesting…

Well the _11S camp is the most voiced group, you may find a couple of 812S owners who like specific media… But thats why I dont understand why a newer firmware release gives worse results for some…

Well, I thought I would resurrect this thread and show the results that US0N makes over US0J.

This is a Fuji brand DVD-R 1x-4x burned @ 8x.
Incredible improvements over the scan posted at the top of this thread of the 8x burn.
Now if LiteOn will continue this improvement on the -R side…