Looking for a good quality DVD writer

vbimport

My DVD-Writer died out on me, and I’m getting tired of replacing it ever couple years. I burn a lot of disks, around 10 a week on average
I tried getting a Lite-On iHAS124 W which is faulty and will be returning tomorrow.

I always have two drives in my system, one to read disks and the other to write them.

I’m not sure what brand or model to really look for, however I do use Verbatim AZO disks for anything important and anything I need for a couple days I use Verbatim’s regular line. Not the life series, it just isn’t AZO.

I am looking at the fallowing drives at Microcenter:

Pioneer - DVR-S20MBK
LG - GH24NS95
ASUS - DRW-24B3ST/LT
Assuming it’s still in stock - Pioneer - BDC-207DBK

I’ve had great service out of my ASUS DRW-24B1ST. But then I’ve also had great service out of my LiteOn iHAS324 A.
Both are older units that have been heavily used. Use a good cleaner disk and you’ll help things a lot.
If you have regular problems with burners or HDDs it might indicate a PSU problem. Perhaps being overloaded with disks?

[QUOTE=1031982;2692493]My DVD-Writer died out on me, and I’m getting tired of replacing it ever couple years. I burn a lot of disks, around 10 a week on average
I tried getting a Lite-On iHAS124 W which is faulty and will be returning tomorrow.

I always have two drives in my system, one to read disks and the other to write them.

I’m not sure what brand or model to really look for, however I do use Verbatim AZO disks for anything important and anything I need for a couple days I use Verbatim’s regular line. Not the life series, it just isn’t AZO.

I am looking at the fallowing drives at Microcenter:

Pioneer - DVR-S20MBK
LG - GH24NS95
ASUS - DRW-24B3ST/LT
Assuming it’s still in stock - Pioneer - BDC-207DBK[/QUOTE]

It’s peculiar that you’ve had problems with the LiteOn burner, as that model number is identical to the one I have installed in my computer. I’ve thrown dozens of discs in the past; all burnt and verified brilliantly. IMO (and though I’ve only worked with a few drives) this LiteOn has been the best drive I’ve had.

From what I’ve read, all of those are good choices. Based on what I’ve read, you may be throttled with firmware issues, especially with the ASUS who leapt on the DVD writer bandwagon late into the game. Although all of them have their quirks (some drives will work with some discs better than others) I think LG might be your best bet, because they’ve introduced a new M-Disc technology which could be something :slight_smile:

That, and you can pick up LG burners (especially if OEM) quite cheaply :slight_smile:

That, and LG equipment tends to be quite good - if you exclude their mobile department :Z