Looking for a good PCIe controller card

vbimport

As the thread title already says, I’m looking for a good USB3 controller card for my pc system.

I already found some, my first thought was the HighPoint RocketU 1144A PCIe 4x card, but with around € 102 it’s expensive. I also doubt that I can use it’s full power on my current PC system with its ASUS P5Q-E mobo.

The DeLock cards are looking not bad and with around 30 Euros they are also good priced. I’m just not sure about the VIA chipset.

Also they are all PCIe 2 with 1 lane.

Are there any other cards some of you can suggest?

What about this one?

It is a PCIe 4x card, price is pretty good, and it has the NEC chipset :slight_smile:

There are only 2 USB3 ports, however, so if you need more ports this card is not good :doh:

Thanks for the link geno, I saw this card earlier to but according to ASUS it isn’t compatible with my mobo, however a user review on amazon says that it works with my mobo too.

The card is PCIe 4x but also uses only 1 lane, so someone won’t beable to get the full SATA III and USB3 performance, this may explaines the low price. In fact it will perform in the same way as every other card @ this price level.

The only real 4x card I’ve seen so far it the HighPoint from my first post.

oops… indeed was too good to be true :doh:

I had fun researching this topic, and never paid attention to 5Gbs-shared-for-all-ports versus 5Gbs-per-each-CONNECT-port.

Thanks for this.

That expensive RocketRaid still ends up being about $20 per CONNECT port, though, as opposed to $30 for 1 Good Single CONNECT And 3 Leeching CONNECTs.

I think it gives the consumer a choice based on what they need. I could imagine wanting 4 external USB 3 drives, and wanting their performance to be uniformly top-notch. But that initial “sticker shock” is probably turning off many prospective buyers who haven’t considered the implication of this 4-high-speed-CONNECT issues.

Then I’m also thinking of 4 external drives sucking up electricity, too. Pity the poor power-strip!!

I’m gonna wait until I have a need for usb 3/sata3 card to upgrade, by that time the cards will be ~$10… right now the price/performance ratios are way out of whack.

FYI hard drives… internal or exteral only consume < 12 watts each in read/write operations.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2654087]I’m gonna wait until I have a need for usb 3/sata3 card to upgrade, by that time the cards will be ~$10… right now the price/performance ratios are way out of whack.

FYI hard drives… internal or exteral only consume < 12 watts each in read/write operations.[/QUOTE]

I said exactly the same thing about USB3.0.

When 3.0 was announced I had already bought eSATA
enclosures and a two-port controller (I don’t have eSATA on my MoBo)

And exactly what I said was “I’ll buy a USB 3.0 Controller when a friend shows up with a USB3.0 drive that requires it.” My Neighbor came over with some files for me to edit on a 3.0 PAssport drive.

I had a 3.0 controller to load the files back onto his portable drive.

I bought a two port card with the NEC chipset.

In the past I’ve had so many issues with Via controllers that I won’t
any device with a via controller one my machines.
Nor will I suggest anything with a Via controller to a customer.

In NEC and SiliconImage I trust

Via? not at all.

Devices with promise controllers? I put them into my gold recycling bin without a second thought.

AD

What about a Thunderbolt card?

A SIL based card is probably the best choice in reliab/money.

I just spotted this news today :slight_smile:

Let’s see how they perform. :wink: