Looking for a drive purely to burn CDs for older hardware

I was trying to burn CDs for use in older hardware using my Blu-Ray burner, but the disks have issues being read in these late-80s/early-90s devices. The media is Taiyo Yuden from before CMC took over so I highly doubt the media is the issue.

It doesn’t help that my desktop’s burner could not be set below 16x for CDs. I tried my laptop whose Blu-Ray burner could go down to 8x and it showed significant improvement, but it was still far from ideal.

So now I have two issues when it comes to trying to find something to burn CD-Rs in 2018:

First one being that there seems to be little surviving data I can find on which drives are even good for CDRs, are there even any modern drives at all anymore that can burn a CDr properly, or do they just focus on DVD/Blu-Ray burning and the CDr support is a tossed in afterthought?

Second problem is if I am stuck with having to look for an older drive, how would I even use it? My modern systems no longer have IDE ports, and it would be a bit of a mess to put such an older drive in a newer system, were there any good external USB drives that burned CDs well and at slow speeds?

Those standalone players from late 80s and early 90s usually have problems reading CD-R media regardless if it is Taiyo Yuden or not. Maybe you can try to use so called “music” type of CD-R media if the disc are not recognized at all. But if the disc is recognized and has skipping and stuttering problems then definitely is the player problem with CD-R media.

From my personal experience most Blu-Ray drives do way better job burning CD-R and DVD-R media than any drive from the IDE era.

I have a WH16NS40 LG BD drive in a Vantec Nexstar DX NST-536S3 enclosure.
I hadn’t set this drive up for EAC but did to rip an Audio CD for this test.
It did the rip with no problems.
I also had EAC create a .cue for the rip.
I do use AnyDVD HD with any commercial Audio CD I rip.
Most probably don’t need it but I have it so why not use it just to be safe.

I then burned an Audio CD with ImgBurn using the EAC created .cue file.
The slowest speed was as your drive does 16X for the CD-R.
That should be slow enough for a CD-R.
I did this with 2 CD discs 1 CD-RW(burned @ 4X) & 1 CD-R.
Both played on my computer in various media players.
I also tested on a 1999 Sony boom box.
The CD-R played fine.
The CD-RW didn’t play but that was what I expected.
That’s about as old of hardware as I have to test with.

So for me a BD drive worked fine.
Even in an USB enclosure.

my 5280s-cb-plus goes down to 4x with my TY cd-r and my saturn / dreamcast do really well with backups burnt from this drive vs others so maybe try hunt one of them

Even those are rather new, I was trying it on really old hardware, such as a Sega CD. It couldn’t even tell a disk was inserted when my desktop burned an audio cd at 16x speed (the slowest it let me burn a CD-R). My laptop’s drive was able to go down to 8x speed and that was a little better, but still not perfect.

I was told that the Plextor 712, 716, 755, and 760 were good, and that anything past the 760 was not that great. I wanted to shy away from the 712 because it seems so old it doesn’t support even some DVDs. Are there any others than just those four though? As in, are the 750 or 751 any good? I have seem some 750s go for lower prices than the others, which makes me wonder if it’s an exception among those other four as one of the good ones.

I still have a older Lite-on 24102b (IDE) drive with a mfg date of Dec 2001. I got a adapter (i.e. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232064 ) that plugs into the back of the drive and converts a IDE(or SATA) connection to USB.

that Lite-on 24102b burner overburn’s AUDIO CD’s well (using ImgBurn (https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html)) and they play fine on a CD player we had since the early 1990’s (I think we had this around 1991-1992(I know it’s no newer than 1993)) which is a Panasonic RX-DS620. I generally use 8x burn speed. the CD-R’s I used some are pretty generic and some are a decent brand and I don’t have trouble playing the CD-R’s or even fast forwarding tracks etc as even the overburned parts play fine as I think I overburned one not all that long ago to a bit over 81min.

I’ve been burning music CDs since 1997, when I first got access to one through my friend’s dad’s computer shop. In those early years, I had issues getting them to play back on certain devices. The Discman I owned at the time wouldn’t play them, but a newer one would. A rather expensive Alpine car stereo made in 1999 would have issues with them, occasionally “losing” the disc. So did a Pioneer I was thinking of getting (tried playing a CD in the display unit at the store, wouldn’t work) but a cheaper one from RadioShack worked fine. My dad had a 6 disc CD changer from RadioShack (Optimus branded Pioneer gear) that played them fine.
The factory stereo in my old 2004 Honda Accord wouldn’t play them, but I think that was intentional, Honda sold an add-on CD player that would also play MP3 discs, and of course would read burned media.) Oddly enough my newer 2017 Accord still has a CD player, but I haven’t even tried putting a disc in it yet lol.

Bottom line, the issue is all in the player, not in the burning process. If you can pop the CD back in your disc drive and play it, it’s a good copy. I wouldn’t waste time trying different burners or different media, but rather search for a CD player that meets your needs if that’s what’s truly important to you. Plenty of used gear out there of all shapes and sizes and it would probably be easy enough to Google the brand/model number and see if any old forum hits pop up with compatibility issues.

@ Cyber_Akuma,
I believe I misunderstood what you are trying to do.
If I now have it correct you want to make copies of Game CDs.
I don’t have experience with those but a moderator does named Terramex.
I would PM him.

@ halestorm ,
My experience is a lot like yours.
It depends on the player.
I believe the problem is Cyber_Akuma posted audio CDs but meant game CDs.

Both actually