Looking for a burner that'll work with my system

vbimport

Hi, I’m a new poster here looking for a replacement for my dying Pioneer 111D. It’s going to be used mostly for burning, but also general use (so it shouldn’t be too noisy).

The thing is, I need something that’s compatible with my system, which is several years old, and it has to be something that’s actually available somewhere at a decent price (I know a lot of the older drives are near-impossible to find these days).

You can see a diagram of what I’m using here with the DVR-111D: the classic IDE cable and 4-pin molex connector combo.

Pioneer: DVR-111D:http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1028/2712900103bj8.jpg

My motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X. It mentions IDE 2 x UltraDMA/133/100/66 in the specifications. After doing some research with transfer modes, I’m still not sure what ATA standard I have, although I think it’s ATA/ATAPI-7. Wouldn’t that make it SATA 1.0 though, and thus have different connector interface? So maybe it’s not ATA/ATAPI-7.

Anyway, now I’m looking at new options, including the high-rated Pioneer DVR-112D. Will that work with my system? The plugs are identical physically, but I’m not sure if the ATA standard is different or if that’ll raise any compability issues.

Pioneer: DVR-112D: http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1733/2712900704af0.jpg

What burner would you folks recommend, given all that?

Any reason not to consider the newest IDE drive from Pioneer? The 115 gets high marks from users around here on quality of burns.

The older style drives with the PATA IDE interface, we normally just shorten to IDE. There won’t be any compatibility problems with these types of drives in your system.

Many newer drives are available in SATA interface, but I wouldn’t recommend one for your system. You would probably have to get a SATA controller card and plug it into one of your pci slots in order to get a SATA drive working in your machine.

Yo-

Totally agree with kerry on this-

I have two Pioneer 115D’s and am of the opinion that these are my very best burners ever-eh!!

[QUOTE=Knotherof;2009709]Hi, I’m a new poster here looking for a replacement for my dying Pioneer 111D. It’s going to be used mostly for burning, but also general use (so it shouldn’t be too noisy).

The thing is, I need something that’s compatible with my system, which is several years old, and it has to be something that’s actually available somewhere at a decent price (I know a lot of the older drives are near-impossible to find these days).

You can see a diagram of what I’m using here with the DVR-111D: the classic IDE cable and 4-pin molex connector combo.

Pioneer: DVR-111D:http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1028/2712900103bj8.jpg

My motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X. It mentions IDE 2 x UltraDMA/133/100/66 in the specifications. After doing some research with transfer modes, I’m still not sure what ATA standard I have, although I think it’s ATA/ATAPI-7. Wouldn’t that make it SATA 1.0 though, and thus have different connector interface? So maybe it’s not ATA/ATAPI-7.

Anyway, now I’m looking at new options, including the high-rated Pioneer DVR-112D. Will that work with my system? The plugs are identical physically, but I’m not sure if the ATA standard is different or if that’ll raise any compability issues.

Pioneer: DVR-112D: http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1733/2712900704af0.jpg

What burner would you folks recommend, given all that?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you can go wrong with choosing a Pioneer burner drive as if you search the fourm here each user has varying experience with various drive and burner that fit their needs. So best would go with what your experienced with in the Pioneer drive unless you have another option that you wanting to try. If so just search and read what each user has commentted on the drives they used and replaced with to get a survey of what drives would fit your needs.

Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Pioneer DVR-115D. We’ll see how it works out.

Just for curiosity’s sake though, is it possible to tell based on those UltraDMA speeds what ATA standard (or version, I guess) I have on my PC?