Looking for a burn it all burner

vbimport

Greetings all,

I hope that someone may be able to assist me in finding my next burner. I also hope that the burner I want exists. So if anyone knows of a CD/DVD burner that can perform the following list of operations please let me know. I would gladly give up some speed to have accuracy in the burns I perform.

That said I am looking for a burner that can both read and write the following formats:

CD:
-R
-RW
-Text
+G
C2 Error (Read)
CDROM (Read)

DVD:
-R
-RW
-R DL
+R
+RW
+R DL
-RAM
DVDROM (Read)

I would also want this drive to be able to read and write all 96 bytes of the CD subchannel, support DVD Bitsetting for all DVD formats (not just DL discs) and it should be able to write EFM (CD) and EFM Plus (DVD) bit patterns correctly.

Most burners will perform most of these functions but I would like one that performs them all. Where this gets difficult is in the -Text and +G area of CD burning it seems that they do one or the other but not both. And manufacturers do not seem to tell you about how well their drives write EFM/EFM Plus or if bitsetting is available.

Thank you for your feedback.

As a minor point you won’t get any DVD burner to support bitsetting on ‘minus/dash’ or DVD-RAM formats. It’s only a feature of the ‘plus’ format.

You may have to get two burners to cover the features that you want.

One drive I use for CD+G reading/burning is a Samsung SH-S182D, though there are newer models around.

These drives also do the usual read/write of +/- R/RW, and both flavours of DL, as well as RAM discs.

I wouldn’t know about the more technical side of your needs as my drives do what I need, so maybe someone else can help out there.

imkidd57, Thank you for the info on bitsetting. I was not aware that it was limited to the plus side only.

Arachne, Thank you for the heads up on the Samsung SH-S182D. I was looking at that model as a possible unit and it does not seem to list CD+G as a supported function in the user manual. I am not doubting you at all but this is a perfect example of the issues I am running into. The manufacturers are not very detailed in what their drives can do.

Thank you both for your help. I hope someone out there has found the holy grail drive that can do it all.

[QUOTE=jcattaber;2065152]
Arachne, Thank you for the heads up on the Samsung SH-S182D. I was looking at that model as a possible unit and it does not seem to list CD+G as a supported function in the user manual. I am not doubting you at all but this is a perfect example of the issues I am running into. The manufacturers are not very detailed in what their drives can do.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, it can both read and burn them. I’ve done many CD+G backups for my step-dad, who runs a mobile karaoke and disco :)…it’s true the manufacturers don’t go into much detail, though.

I do still think you’ll need two drives to cover all those requirements, though. :slight_smile:

That drive can read/write to any CD/DVD format.
But it’s an old model and I don’t think you’ll find one, at least not new.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S182D-DVD-Writer-Review/Introduction.html

Pic stolen from Dee-27’s Samsung SH-S203B review:

However it is an SATA drive, and you don’t mention what interface your PC has.

Arachne,

Thank you so much for all of your effort. I did not mention the interface type because I have both SATA and PATA available with a preference only towards the drive itself.

As Memberix had mentioned the s182D is by computer standards an older drive and is becoming hard to find. I thought that I would have better luck finding the 203B but I would be wrong. Samsung’s own web page lists 2 downloads for this drive but claims that there is no product known as the SH-S203B. When I do a search on pricegrabber I only come up with what appears to be OEM versions. I have no issue with OEM I just want to know if this is the only way this drive is offered.

I thank you all for you help on finding a new drive.