Looking for 50 GB Media

vbimport

Hi,

I´m not very experienced and hope to find some help.

I´ve got a LG-BH16NS40 and I´m looking for some good 50GB BluRay printable media with a nice price-performance ratio.

I´v been using BD-R-DL:VERBAT-IMd-000 manufactured in Japan.
Are these good? Should I stick to them?

I´d be grateful for suggestions.:iagree:

Fumo

[QUOTE=Fumo;2764555]Hi,

I´m not very experienced and hope to find some help.

I´ve got a LG-BH16NS40 and I´m looking for some good 50GB BluRay printable media with a nice price-performance ratio.

I´v been using [I]BD-R-DL:VERBAT-IMd-000 [/I]manufactured in Japan.
Are these good? Should I stick to them?

I´d be grateful for suggestions.:iagree:

Fumo[/QUOTE]
It depends how much are you willing to pay for them?

If they are still available, stick to them. The LG is optimized for original Verbatim Blu-Ray mediacodes.

Thank you,

the [I]BD-R-DL:VERBAT-IMd-000[/I] cost 2,00.-€ to 2,30.- €.
Thats about what I´m willing to pay.
But: cheaper would be nicer:)

Verbatim’s DL yellow cakeboxes will have the Panasonic MIDs and this is the best DL media you can readily buy. I hope that Verbatim don’t discontinue them anytime soon.

Sorry to revive this, but what is a ‘yellow’ cakebox?
I’m also looking for reasonably priced, but low coaster BD DL’s. Do not need printable.

Yellow (made by Panasonic) - http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Disc-pcs-Spindle/dp/B0056DV0L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457561759&sr=8-1&keywords=verbatim+bd-r+dl

vs

Blue (not made by Panasonic) - http://www.amazon.com/New-Verbatim-Blu-ray-Disc-Spindle/dp/B002NPF90G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1457561759&sr=8-6&keywords=verbatim+bd-r+dl

Note the links are just for visual identification (pictures), I have not bought these items from Amazon before (only eBay).

Ah, thanks. The yellow labeled are the Japanese import as opposed the to the blue which is packaged for westerners.
How is the Amazon price versus where you got them on eBay?

Edit: Ah, they’re both printed in Japanese. Weird.
I don’t know why you are saying yellow. To me the first has a white background, and the second one a blue background with similar design.

The blue spindle with BD-R50 6x could have been manufactured by CMC Magnetics and have a Verbatim mediacode, as the same Verbatim discs in smaller spindles/packages produced for the european market.
The quality is not good.:frowning:

These ‘yellow’ Verbatim cakebox’s seem to be a perfect replacement for the TY That’s BD-R DL 30-disc version (that were made by Panasonic) that are running out of stock and have skyrocketed in price on eBay and Amazon.

Thanks for the tip, sengork!

But I have one question, is all the ‘yellow’ cakebox’s the same Panasonic made discs or just the 50 disc version? What about the 20-disc cakebox etc.?

I’ve only ever bought the yellow 50 pack spindle and they always turned out to be Panasonic (as recently as 2 months ago). I would expect the smaller yellow packs to be Panasonic as well if there is a corresponding blue DL pack of the same quantity available from Verbatim.

Thanks sengork. Well, I just looked and cannot find a corresponding blue DL 20-disc spindle, nor any for the other packaged ones, so it looks like it is the 50-disc spindle only that are Panasonic made.

At least that brings the price down to the TY That’s level. Buying Panasonic branded was so much more expensive. I only purchased 20 discs Panasonic branded and the cost was more then the That’s 30-disc spindle. Now that I have found this, I will be switching again to purchasing and stocking up on these.

Thank you for saving me money. :flower: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Canon_Heritage;2775246]Thank you for saving me money. :flower: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

And thank you for keeping Panasonic all that much more within the consumer disk market.

I’ve had thoughts about stocking up on the disks especially now that the $/TB HDD is more attractive, but 50 spindle tends to last a long time for me. So in a sense it is a form of stocking up for my use cases.

Let us know how you go with the MID codes. I’ve only sourced my disks from one popular seller on eBay as they list the item in my local currency (so there is no currency conversion penalty for me).

[QUOTE=sengork;2775247]And thank you for keeping Panasonic all that much more within the consumer disk market.[/QUOTE]
Your welcome. I don’t trust anything other then Panasonic made BD-R DL or M-disc for 100GB discs. I have some TDK Made in Japan singles and some TDK made in China ‘That’s’ spindles, but just a few. I was a TDK fan back in the day. The TDK China made That’s discs don’t have the same scratch resistance as the Panasonic made discs, obviously, and are too delicate.

I go through at least 2-4 DL discs a week, bare minimum. I edit quite a bit of video and always store the camera archives onto BD-R DL. Much cheaper and more dependable then hard drives on a cost per GB ratio.

[QUOTE=sengork;2775247]I’ve only sourced my disks from one popular seller on eBay[/QUOTE]
Which seller did you use on eBay?

I’ve moved to sourcing mine through Amazon.ca since it ended up being cheaper in Canada, thanks to one particular Japan seller. I haven’t looked into the Verbatim prices yet.

If I can get a Windows partition working with the right software, I will try to check the MID and report back. I first have to order the discs next month.

I’ve used this seller/item before: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161527610198

Out of interest, how do you store your written disks?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=sengork;2775250]I’ve used this seller/item before: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161527610198[/QUOTE]
Not bad. I am using Jp-Gate via their Amazon store. I used them via eBay before, along with a few others but found their Amazon store to be more affordable for Canada then anyone else.

[QUOTE=sengork;2775250]Out of interest, how do you store your written disks?[/QUOTE]

Currently, I store all of my optical media in their original spindle or case, for space saving purposes, which I in turn put in a closed cupboard/closet. Temperature and humidity is always in the middle somewhere. Temperature doesn’t move drastically where they are stored. Similar to an office environment.

Then I use NeoFinder to keep track of everything and what disc is what and in what spindle that disc is (the spindle is labeled) etc. I haven’t got around to printing/labeling most of them so NeoFinder helps me find what I am looking for when I need to get at the archives.

Of course if you have the room etc. it is best to store the discs in individual cases standing upright, on their sides. For me, I need the space saving part more then anything else, so spindles are ideal. They are tough discs, so I am not worried about them bending for now in their original spindles.

As the amount of Blu-ray’s grow, currently between 500-600 discs (both SL & DL, almost all DL), I will have to work on the best way to store so many of them. Haven’t thought that far down the road yet.

This is in addition to my DVD’s and CD’s which are all TDK, TY (almost 600 blank Watershield CDs), Falcon Media (love this company) and some other discs not worth mentioning. :big smile:

Edit: And a few Triple Layer M-disc’s that I haven’t used yet.

Can anyone tell me if this 10 pack: https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Mitsubishi-Speed-Blu-ray-Recordable/dp/B0043SEMMW
is the same as the recommended yellow spindle?

The reviews are overwhelmingly good but there are a FEW people claiming a high number of coasters.

My Pioneer BDR-209D has always produced good burns for BD single-layer and BD-RE DL discs, so I’m not extremely worried.

Mostly I just want to get a small pack of the right discs to see how successful they are before getting a larger spindle.

They should be the same, however i still recommend asking the seller which MID they are likely to have. Nobody in the reviews and answers has made a mention of it on that amazon listing.

I’m looking for the Manufacturer ID to be Panasonic, correct?

[QUOTE=DoctorM;2778166]I’m looking for the Manufacturer ID to be Panasonic, correct?[/QUOTE]
Indeed. If you want to buy the same disks (same MID but Panasonic branded) look at http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162103583766 LM-BRS50L50S