Looking at purchasing a BenQ DW1620 PRO

vbimport

Before I finalize my purchase I would like some feedback on my shopping list.

Drive:

BenQ DW1620 PRO

Media:

Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8X
or
RiDATA DVD+R 16X

What is a good firmware to flash this drive with?

You’ll do fine with the TAIYO YUDEN DVD+R media. As long as you use good quality dvd media with the BENQ 1620 there won’t be problems. Some have good burns with firmware B7P9 while others use B7T9. Read the latest firmware B7U9 thread. For me the latest firmware didn’t work well with the brands of dvd media that I use. If your drive comes with a “G” firmware then you can flash the drive to the G7P9 firmware or cross flash the drive to a “B” firmware by downloading the WinDXFLASH.exe file and B7P9 cvt file from this site:
http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

I’d recommend the drive. I recieved that exact same drive from Newegg 4 days ago and so far, there’s nothing wrong with it.

Click Here to read my experience so far.
Although it’s not completed yet, the drive has certainly passed every Quality tests I’ve done.

Also, anyway you look at it, I consider paying $40 for 50 DVD+R disks(no matter the brand or quality) a rip-off. Go to your nearest BestBuy store and pick up a 100pack Fuji 8X DVD+R for the same price. And make sure it says “Made in Japan”.

I was unsure of the media as I have always used Ritek G04 with my Pioneer DVR-106D. Is it worth buying 16X DVD+R media or is it possible to overburn with 8X? Is it possible to do bitsetting with this drive because I have a stand alone DVD Player that won’t play DVD+R?

I was unsure of the media as I have always used Ritek G04 with my Pioneer DVR-106D. Is it worth buying 16X DVD+R media or is it possible to overburn with 8X? Is it possible to do bitsetting with this drive because I have a stand alone DVD Player that won’t play DVD+R?

yes 8x dvd media can be overburned to 12x-16x with certain brands such as FUJI made in japan DVD+R. the BENQ 1620 has bitsetting out of the box. no hacked or 3rd party firmware to enable bitsetting. in my opinion i would stick to using 8x dvd media since overburning is possible. that’s just my 2cents!

How do I make sure that the Fugi brand is made in Japan? Also, I’ve read that BenQ is having problems with QC, is this correct?

How do I make sure that the Fugi brand is made in Japan? Also, I’ve read that BenQ is having problems with QC, is this correct?

Look at the spindles of the FUJI (media code is TAIYO YUDEN) DVD+R media if you’re buying from a store. It should say MADE IN JAPAN on the spindle. As for quality control that is only speculation as many people have their computers set up differently with different operating systems. There are some on this forum site that have just purchased the BENQ 1620 from newegg and have not had any problems. Denver Dawgs is one of them.

I’m one of them too :slight_smile:

I am a reseller and have sold many dvd writers, LG, Pioneer, BenQ. I only had one BenQ returned and I believe it was an OS problem not the drive. I would recommend the BenQ 1620 over all others.

There are many reasons for so called defective units:

Shipping and Handling - If you could see how the units are handled by the delivery guys you would cringe.

OS - Lots of problems with OS’s that are eliminated by a reformat.

Compatability - Some problems with certain motherboards.

Defective Computer Parts - IDE ribbon connectors are notoriously defective.

Careless Handling - Static charges when installing without grounding can kill a drive.

• Handling a drive roughly (more common than you would think)
  • Even plugging IDE cable in backwards.

The above can happen with any drive, but seem to happen with BenQ a little more often, and I believe the reason is that more are sold.

So take all with a grain of salt. When you buy mailorder you can easily get someone else’s RMA because they don’t want to go to the trouble and expense of returning it to the manufacturer.

I deal direct with my customers and install most equipment myself. 50% of the time I have to reformat and setup their systems because they are totally corrupted. I have never had a DOA in over 15 years. My RMA’s run at about 0.01%. I pick everything up myself from my suppliers, nothing by mail.

Hope this helps some of you new guy’s who have questions.

If you’re willing to take a little risk these accrding to latest customer comments are richjpnro1s for half the price of your NE Fujis. they will burn at 8x. BenQs burn them extremely well.