Looking at GSA-5163D...worth it?

vbimport

Looks like a decent drive as long as you use 16X media. I want it mainly for the firewire capabilities…any other drives comparable or better?

Thanks

Bob

the overwhelming response speaks volumes…guess I wait until another drive with firewire is available. The external drive is to be used mainly with my Toshiba laptop…which has USB 2.0 and firewire.

Have you already read the official review by Jan70? It’s posted right on one of the sticky threads. I also tested the drive last year. Worth what? For US$150, I won’t buy another GSA-5163D, but for US$100, well, I’ll consider.

Guess what I am driving at…I have the Plextor PX-716A and NEC 3500A internal burners…both are very fast and burn quality is great. I don’t know much about LGE…but the review said very picky about media. Am I to assume that with good media that it is a good burner. Almost all external burners are a bit more expensive. I can get the 5163D for around $120. Memorex and Plextor external about $179 and BenQ and Pacific Digital around $129. My laptop currently has a 1X DVD-RW drive…Toshiba 5205-S705. Guess I was wondering whether it was worth the investment or are there better drives for less???

Thanks

Bob

In my opinion it’s the best external writer. Like few others it actually reaches full 16x speed on both USB 2.0 and firewire.

I’ll recommend it - with firmware 104 the media support is improved as well, not perfect, but pretty good.

Where does one get firmware 1.04. US site only has 1.03

Thanks

Bob

I just found the 1.04 firmware for the 5163B. Is there a difference between the 5163B and 5163D?

Thanks

Most probably they incorrectly mixed up the names 4163B (internal IDE version) and 5163D (external USB/Firewire version). I don’t think that a 5163B model exists.
I guess that the .txt file contained in the archive you’ll find the upgrade instructions for the 4163 drive.
Just go ahead with the update, it will work fine.

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

There are only GSA-4163B and GSA-5163D. I don’t know why but LG sells their external versions as GSA-5120D, GSA-5160D, and GSA-5163D. For US$120 or so, and if there isn’t any drive that offers more for less, it seems it’s the best choice for you. And since you already have NEC 16x, the lacking media compatibility with some types of media, it’s not much of a problem. I personally burn most things on either GSA-5163D. DW1620 quality and speed are just as good but I use DW1620 specially for scanning writing quality.

BTW, if you know how to use an external case for HDDs and ODDs, buying a GSA-4163B bulk drive and a USB/IEEE 1394 box separately could be both cheaper and better. In my case, I got one without paying since it was a test unit but I never bought an external drive unless the price is nearly the same as the internal version like when I bought a Buffalo box with a Toshiba SD-R5002 inside from a Tokyo shop.