Long time

vbimport

Aff, my first recorded disc, G04, took 27 mins to write in my 411s (4x), is that normal?

If you were burning at 4x, the disk should have been created in about 13-14 minutes or so…

Try checking DMA

Originally posted by TripleH
If you were burning at 4x, the disk should have been created in about 13-14 minutes or so…

Exactly, but here it took all that time… I beleave it’s because this CPU is very slow (P3 550mhz, 256ram, slow HD), don’t remeber the system requirements for the 411s. What would you say?

I edited my above post to include a link for checking DMA settings. That may assist you.:smiley:

I edited my above post to include a link for checking DMA settings. That may assist you.:smiley:

27 mins, DMA ON.

Now, my second disc, a DVD copy, 33 mins of laser at 4x. I think something is very wrong. 2 things i’ve noticed:

1. The led keeps flashing between red and yellow. Is that normal? Sometimes it stays in the red.

2. My HD reads a lot all the time that the disc is being recorded. Maybe is overrun?

That indicates that the computer is probably having a hard time supplying the information fast enough for the burner…

The hard drive activity light is on because it is transferring data from the HD to the DVD Bruner.

What are your system specs…

What program are you using?

[B]That indicates that the computer is probably having a hard time supplying the information fast enough for the burner…

The hard drive activity light is on because it is transferring data from the HD to the DVD Bruner.

What are your system specs…

What program are you using? [/B]

It’s the 411s light that blinks orange/red. The HD keeps working “very hard” all the time, so I think it is the problem, too slow.

I have a P3 550mhz, 256ram, 5400rpm HD IBM conected to a ATA66 controler, so it’s DMA 4.

Your burner should be also DMA, and on different IDE channel. Try checking it.

edit/ should be DMA means that DMA mode should be enabled in IDE controller properties in WinXP or device properties in Win98. If not, uninstall IDE channel and restart yor computer /

Originally posted by laststargazer
[B]Your burner should be also DMA, and on different IDE channel. Try checking it.

edit/ should be DMA means that DMA mode should be enabled in IDE controller properties in WinXP or device properties in Win98. If not, uninstall IDE channel and restart yor computer / [/B]

Yes, it is enabled and they are on diferent IDE chanels, both as master.

Try defragmenting your HDD, check IDE cables. Something must be causing this “traffic jam”.

Originally posted by laststargazer
Try defragmenting your HDD, check IDE cables. Something must be causing this “traffic jam”.

What about the system specs, don’t you think that’s the cause of the “laggy” ?

Should work, i’d defrag as suggested, reboot and shut down unneeded programs before burning.

also make sure u have a fair amount of free space on ur hard drive like half gig upwards or so. I filled my hard drive once so it couldn’t defrag properly and I had slowdowns in my burn rate.

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
Should work, i’d defrag as suggested, reboot and shut down unneeded programs before burning.

What about the 411s light flashing red/orange, is that normal?

Your HD keeps reading deeply when you burn?

Originally posted by hampage
[B]What about the 411s light flashing red/orange, is that normal?

Your HD keeps reading deeply when you burn? [/B]

The light flashing red/orange indicates that the drive is going into buffer underrun (the computer cannot feed it data fast enough). Follow the advise above…

Originally posted by C0deKing
The light flashing red/orange indicates that the drive is going into buffer underrun (the computer cannot feed it data fast enough). Follow the advise above…

Oh, ok, I am doing that. So, what’s the color that it should demonstrate when the burning process is going on without problems?

Oh, ok, I am doing that. So, what’s the color that it should demonstrate when the burning process is going on without problems?

The more solid red it is the better. Free up as much memory and HD space as you can…

Originally posted by C0deKing
The more solid red it is the better. Free up as much memory and HD space as you can…

Oh, ok, thanks for the hint. I got my best time in the following way: files in one PC, burner in the other, 10/100 LAN. --> 22 mins. After 6 or 7 mins it started to flash orange (the Nero cache went to 0), so the underrun protection started to work. I did defrag yesterday, so maybe that’s the cause of better score. Will try the burn without 2 computers today to see if I get around 15 mins. One thing I can say: The buffer underrun protection tecnology of Lite-on works perfectly.

Oh, ok, thanks for the hint. I got my best time in the following way: files in one PC, burner in the other, 10/100 LAN. --> 22 mins. After 6 or 7 mins it started to flash orange (the Nero cache went to 0), so the underrun protection started to work. I did defrag yesterday, so maybe that’s the cause of better score. Will try the burn without 2 computers today to see if I get around 15 mins. One thing I can say: The buffer underrun protection tecnology of Lite-on works perfectly.

You didn’t mention previously that you are pulling files from one pc to another. You are adding a whole different set of processes
into the equation. I think you are fortunate to get the speeds you are getting now.