~ long term storage solution for dvds ~

being a collector of dvd movies i’d like my precious factory pressed dvds to last for atleast the next 30 or so years, in the case of best protective storage cases, should i be using dvd cases or regular cd jewel cases?

i noticed that jewel cases seems to be more sturdy however the disc inside seems to be more prone to …exposure than dvd cases, of which the dvd is technically sealed inside save for a few tiny openings here and there, whereas jewel cases have always had a large line gap between the lid and the case. from what i heard about proper dvd storage is that exposure to sunlight, rapid changes in room tempurture, dust as well as humidity and moisture can shortened the lifespan of the disc and this is something i would like to protect my disc from.

so which one do you folks think would make better dvd storage? and what brand of dvd cases do you prefer?

thanks alot mates!

Moved here from the thechnical forum :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the forum tomoyoafter :slight_smile:

The best storage method is certainly to use a single jewel case for each disc (or a DVD box if you prefer). This method is also the most cumbersome, but it is the very best.

i noticed that jewel cases seems to be more sturdy however the disc inside seems to be more prone to …exposure than dvd cases

For what I know there is no real difference between a jewel box and a DVD case for pressed discs because these are not light sensitive like burned discs. The main dangers for pressed discs are warping and scratching, whereas for burned discs a big danger (other than warping and scratching) is also sunlight that could deteriorate the data surface.

It seems DVDs are actually two discs bonded together, and sometimes the process doesn’t always bond the center hub of the DVD. This may not be a problem in and of itself, [B]but if you were to use a CD case to store a DVD, the extra pressure required to remove the disc from a CD case could cause the hub to crack[/B], and the loss of data could occur. I guess this is why most DVD cases I’ve seen have a simple push release mechanism that holds the disc in place.

[B]SOURCE:[/B]

just wondering if this is true and all, it sounds kind of scary …

That’s not true, no. It’s a big stupid myth.

It’s not much different than folks who think you need a “DVD safe” marker, because “acid” will eat the disc. That’s complete crap, too.

The biggest issue for discs is hubs that hold a disc too tightly – many DVD box sets cases for retail DVDs, for example. Or those really cheap blank cases that warp the disc, either in storage or when used.

There’s some more info on DVD cases here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/buy-dvd-cases.htm
Might make a quick read for you.

IMO the aluminium DJ style cases are great both for reasons of space efficiency and storing the discs safely at the correct angle.

They’re held in little double sided indexed plastic pouches (lined with a protective material) which hang on rails like suspension files.

You can get them in all sorts of capacities that hold up to 3000 discs and they’re sturdy too.

Here’s a couple of examples.

[B]Wombler[/B]

hello, sorry for the late reply!

the cd cabinet look very sturdy, but if i carry that around wouldn’t the discs hanging on the rails fall off and tumble around a whole lot? (i’ll be moving to new house soon) i actually had a splendid thought of placing jewel cases inside. :slight_smile:

[B] i purchased these 14mm standard dvd cases from amazon as well as a few other cases but look awfully thin, actually there was no way for me to tell as alot of the ones i look at simply has the description of standard dvd cases…i’ll be sure to post back with photos of the products i receive, thanks m8s!
[/B]

[QUOTE=tomoyoafter;2479559]the cd cabinet look very sturdy, but if i carry that around wouldn’t the discs hanging on the rails fall off and tumble around a whole lot? [/QUOTE]

They shouldn’t come off the rails as lid closes tightly enough to prevent this.

Also where the handles are located means you naturally carry them in an upright position anyway.

[B]Wombler[/B]