Login window asking for username

The other day I performed a routine scan on my Windows PC, but after reboot a login window appears on start up asking for a username and password, something I’ve never used. How can I avoid this screen? By the way, even if I click on OK button without entering any password, the system starts up. Thanks a lot for your advice.

This is one question I asked about an hour ago. But no one has posted a reply yet, so I would like to ask the same question again:

The other day I performed a routine scan on my Windows PC, but after reboot a login window appears on start up asking for a username and password, something I’ve never used. How can I avoid this screen? By the way, even if I click on OK button without entering any password, the system starts up. Thanks a lot for your advice.[B][/B]

Be patient Grasshopper.
The Windows XP login screen should have your unique User name and an Icon. Passwords are optional. I am assuming that you are the “administrator” and have those priviledges enabled.
Other users will offer additional help.

Yes, Patience [I]is[/I] a virtue…:wink:

And, there really is no need to start a similar separate thread…I’m sure the mods will merge-em soon enough …
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/login-window-asking-username-269726/

Please don’t crosspost Ayiramala. To answer your question, you can use TweakUI (from Microsoft) to automatically log on when you start Windows. This should bypass the screen you are seeing now.

Look under Logon–>Autologon–>put a check mark in the box to Log on Automatically

Thanks for your comments. But now things have become more serious. After logging in, I now see only a blank desktop - only the picture is there, but no icons. I tried safe mode, and there everything seems to be right. But in normal mode, prodrams do not seem to load. I tried ALT+DEL+CNTRL, but could not find ‘explorer.exe’ among the list of processes. When I tried to add it, I first got a meesage that Windows was blocking it to protect my computer from a virus attack. But then it began to load.So each time if I want to run my computer, I have to add ‘explorer.exe’. What can be the reason? and how can I put everything back to normal? Again, thanks for your comments.

What was this software that you first used to do a ‘routine scan’ on your PC?

I used NOD32.

Try doing a system restore back before you started having this issue, I know that when you don’t have a password set for your user name and then microsoft installs the “Net Framework” you will start having this logon message.
You should only have to select your user name and since you never did set a password you should not have to enter one to start the system, I myself have deleted the net framework account on my XP rig which stopped that logon message from being prompted at start up.

Thanks, StormJumper, nice to hear from you. It’s been a long time.
NO, the system restore did not work. In fact, I’ve never set any restore points before, something which I noe regret.

Don’t we really need the .NET Framework? Can I delete it?

.Net framework is necessary for certain software to work, but isn’t an absolute necessity for the operating system.

You would have to know which programs you have installed that rely on it.

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2244280]Don’t we really need the .NET Framework? Can I delete it?[/QUOTE]

What I did was not uninstalling the net framework all I did was deleted the logon account within the user accounts for it, the net framework files and other necessary items for it to function are still on my system and I have no issues :bigsmile:

I take it you have XP if so here is the directions to fix the log in for you

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm