Login required for forum browsing...?

vbimport

Hi everyone.

I tend to scan the forums & contribute a couple of times a week, however, I now find that the policy for browsing requires that I log on. Is there a series of IPs that are blocked as the active users list does show other users as guests. Please revert to allowing all guests to browse.

Originally posted by stevem
[B]Hi everyone.

I tend to scan the forums & contribute a couple of times a week, however, I now find that the policy for browsing requires that I log on. Is there a series of IPs that are blocked as the active users list does show other users as guests. Please revert to allowing all guests to browse. [/B]

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/20/147216.shtml?tid=137 .

Ever heard of the “Slashdot Effect”? This measure stopped the entire site from being down to everyone.

Thanks for the response. I guessed as much. There’ll be less load on the system from me from now on… Why are some guest users still allowed?

Originally posted by stevem
Thanks for the response. I guessed as much. There’ll be less load on the system from me from now on… Why are some guest users still allowed?

Sorry for this measure. But since we had server loads which were so high that the server went down we decided to put the forum for members only for a few hours. Else we would go down again…

All’s well that ends well. Did membership increase much? Is registration much of a deterent based on hits?

Yes we did got more members, but we are not doing this to get more members (because we prefer active members and one time reggers, are not really active) , the load on the server just drops instantly when we go into ‘registering only mode’. If we didn’t do this, the server would become really slow or would even crash (this is what happend the first few hours after we were mentioned on slashdot) so we had to take measures to decrease the load and make sure the server would not crash. This is effictively done by making the forum registering only, probably because only people who are really intrested keep surfing the forum and the rest leaves…

The forum is now registering free again, and it seems to be fine right now…