Locking a folder without encryption?

Well, without having to encrypt, is there a way to password protect folders on Windows XP? Is there software that will do it?

All I want to do is lock a few folders to stop the kids (15 year old that knows way around a PC) clicking on them; it doesn’t need to be amazo-hack proof.

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2075941]Well, without having to encrypt, is there a way to password protect folders on Windows XP? Is there software that will do it?

All I want to do is lock a few folders to stop the kids (15 year old that knows way around a PC) clicking on them; it doesn’t need to be amazo-hack proof.[/QUOTE]

Is this the family computer or your own computer? If you logged in a admin password protected and save them in you my documents they shouldn’t be able to view or access those folders.

No, they need to be able to access my documents sometimes - I’ve already thought of that.

It depends on whether you run Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home, and on whether you use NTFS or FAT(32/16) as the filesystem.

With Windows XP Professional and NTFS you can set up detailed permissions for folders and files, but with XP Home and with FAT you can’t (at least not using Windows itself). The permissions are not based on passwords but based on User ID, so you and your kids would have to login using different login IDs.

XP Home, NTFS.

Sometimes they use my account anyway.

With XP Home, permission is more of an all or nothing approach.

You can give everyone access to your Documents folder and everything in it, or deny everyone except yourself access to the whole folder.

You could make your personal Documents folder private, and put things that your kids should be allowed to access in the Shared Documents folder.

If your kids use your account, all bets are off unless you use third party encryption software.

Drage is right…

only [I]trick[/I] I can think of is to make sure you have hidden files and folders turned off and try making a hidden folder to store stuff that way… also maybe place it somewhere other than “my documents” and perhaps somewhere very obscure in the PC… provided the kids are also not smart enough to know about hidden files and folders, although finding an obscure area will also help

Alternatively, I would suggest to upgrade to XP Pro if this is such a high necessity.

Aha… making a hidden folder… job done, that’ll do!

Cheers guys!

/me sees a future scenario where [B]groovemeister[/B] has to ask his kids where he put his “hidden” documents, beause he forgot it himself! :bigsmile:

How about a removable/USB hard drive?
You can use it to store not only sensitive information but also an image backup for the C drive for when it crashes. It takes 10 minutes or less to restore a 9Gb C drive or a day formating installing windows and then all your software and drivers.
The beauty of this is you can remove the drive to a safe place until you require it and no access for anyone else.

No, it’s documents that are accessed frequently and want to be able to use easily, not keep a USB drive hidden - but don’t want the kids viewing.

I’s OK, hidden file will do fine. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2076547]No, it’s documents that are accessed frequently and want to be able to use easily, not keep a USB drive hidden - but don’t want the kids viewing.

I’s OK, hidden file will do fine. :)[/QUOTE]

Kids know everything about Hidden folders. When you press ctrl+A to select all files, windows gives warning that the folder contains hidden files or folders.
Use WinRAR instead. while archiving, in advanced options, choose ‘set password’, You can also hide file names there.

Also If you don’t want the files to be compressed, In general options, use the ‘compression method’ as ‘store’, so that extraction/running will be very fast like it used to be in the explorer.