Lock Video Size when Converting to DVD

Hey everyone,

I have an avi file that I am converting to DVD or possibly vCD. My preference is to convert it to DVD. However, whenever I convert it using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 or Nero v7.x, it is automatically converted from the original 352x240 to 720x480.

My question is this: Is there a way to convert the avi file (or any video file) and maintain the original size?

I realize this will basically be 1/2 size on the TV screen but that is ok rather than the pixelation that is occuring now.

Thanks!

I’d be asking myself why I’m getting the pixelation.

When you’ve converted it to DVD format how does it play on the PC. If it’s fine then the problem is with the burned disk which is very common with poor quality media.

I convert various sizes of video to 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576(PAL) and when burned on quality media I get perfect picture quality.

16:9 mpeg2 dvd compliant must have full res.
Of course you can use lower res on DVD with mepg2 material, but they cannot be 16:9 then…

Just use tmpgenc.

I convert various sizes of video to 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576(PAL) and when burned on quality media I get perfect picture quality.

Really? How do you add the data (pixels) back into the video if you start out with a lower resolution? That seems to defy the “garbage in - garbage out” rule??

Of course you can use lower res on DVD with mepg2 material, but they cannot be 16:9 then…

Just use tmpgenc.

I’ll try tmpgenc and see what I can do. I’m not worried about the actual video footage itself filling the entire TV screen. In other words, the video can be smaller on the TV screen and that will be ok as long as there is no pixelation above and beyond the original video.

Thanks for the replies…

Have a look here at the guides & tutorials in this sub forum.

Personally I use DVD2SVCD with Cinema Craft Encoder as my encoder, but it comes with a free one & also works with Tmpgenc. It looks complicated but handles audio & video resizing extremely well.

Nero’s NeroVision isn’t a bad tool either & most people have it anyway. I’ve only used it a couple of times & the results were fine.

As I said before it depends were you’re seeing the pixelation. If playback on the PC (directly from the HDD) is fine , and generally it will be, then it’s the quality of the burned disks that’s the problem.