Local stores out of good media?

vbimport

My stash of Sony TY and Fuji TY (both MIJ) are almost gone
and just went out to buy some. Little did I knew there were
none left. I actually checked all the following stores like
Sears, Staples, OD, BestBuy where I used to find them
and none had any in stock or were changed.

I’m not that familiar with net purchases of blank media
and in case anyone has a tip or recommendation of a
brand that’s equal to those TY’s from Fuji or Sony, and
available in those stores, I’d be really grateful!

Thank you

[QUOTE=Josh97;2153098]My stash of Sony TY and Fuji TY (both MIJ) are almost gone
and just went out to buy some. Little did I knew there were
none left. I actually checked all the following stores like
Sears, Staples, OD, BestBuy where I used to find them
and none had any in stock or were changed.

I’m not that familiar with net purchases of blank media
and in case anyone has a tip or recommendation of a
brand that’s equal to those TY’s from Fuji or Sony, and
available in those stores, I’d be really grateful!

Thank you[/QUOTE]
Try walgreen’s, not sure if they have them at yours on clearance, but I picked up a pack of MIJ Maxell TYs (30 pk)

You could buy Taiyo Yuden media online from e.g. Rima.com.

I can hardly even find quality media in local stores was must order on line sa soon as I get down to a few 100 blanks.

[QUOTE=RCM;2153100]Try walgreen’s, not sure if they have them at yours on clearance, but I picked up a pack of MIJ Maxell TYs (30 pk)[/QUOTE]

You forgot to ask him whether he was looking for CDs or DVDs. MIJ DVDs are long gone from retail.

ACCA Recording Products / Rima is a great spot to buy genuine TY media in the U.S.A. Fast shipping, great customer service, and an unimpeachable reputation.

Quality media has been really hard to find in brick and mortar shops in my area this past year. I pretty much buy it all online now.

Last time I was in the 'States, there was almost nothing I would consider quality on the shelves. Radio Shack, Target, Sears etc. anywhere. There were only two exceptions:

1. Wal-Mart had Sony Audio CD-Rs, Taiyo Yuden MIJ. Nabbed a 30 pack relatively cheap. However those have since switched to Made In Taiwan products which could mean Ritek, CMC MAG :Z or Prodisc. :frowning:
  2. B&H in New York City had a small selection of Verbatims including some DVD+R DLs which I also bought (3 Pack). Made In Singapore too :wink:

Nothing else is really top of the line stuff.

Here in Europe things are a little better, a store not massively far away has a shelf full of Verbs.

I’m just going to say it straight - if you want quality media you will have to shop on line.

No one has mentioned Verbatim dvds at Best Buy? They are the only dvds I buy locally.

I think the OP is looking for TY CD-R media, actually.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I think I’ll have to manage online from now on, or as Kerry56 mentioned Verbatims at BestBuy, I’ll give those a try before ordering online.

It doesn’t matter the format, am looking for both CD-R’s and DVD-R’s (+ or -) so am not that picky :slight_smile: but am looking mostly for blank DVD’s.

Are there any specific Verbatims I should look for at BestBuy or all are the same? I remember with Sony DVD’s being labeled differently, its top separator had different shapes, etc.

Again it depends on what you’re looking for.

Verbatim have few/no AZO CDRs so there you’re limited to Taiyo Yuden. For CDs, look for any package that says “Made In Japan”

For single layer DVDs any Verbatim (unless Made in China) will be high quality AZO - either MIT or MII (Made in Taiwan or Made in India) are what you want.

For double layer DVDs you want Verbatim Made in Singapore ONLY.

I remember with Sony DVD’s being labeled differently, its top separator had different shapes, etc.
Don’t worry about any of that stuff.

If ur gonna buy Verbatim blanks from BestBuy, you should definitely wait 'till they go on sale for $12.99 for a 50 pk… The normal price is $30.99.

Well, I really ran out of media and hdd space and was forced
to get some dvd’s. The ones I got from BestBuy were a 25pk of
Verbatims, “Digital Movie” - they look like old mag reels :),
they are selling for $16.

The media code is MCC 02RG20, are 8x and Made In
Taiwan (Thanks SeanW !).
I’ve searched the forum and only could see the PI scans.
Being such a noob, I have no idea how to interpret them…
so if anyone can comment on this media, please let me
know how does it compare to other Verbatims.

Josh

Good media, bad price, and a pain in the ass to label.

Just done burning about 10 of them and so far they seem
amazing, great speed and consistency, compatible with all
devices as the previous TY’s were…
Even the print looks ok although it is really a pain to label them,
so Tropic is right on there.

I’m looking to get more of these, I’ll look for better prices in the
meantime since I’m not forced to buy them right now and post
back in case anyone’s interested as well. Or, if anyone has
a place where to buy them from, please let us know, thanks!!

Went back to BestBuy and bought 4 more packs, got
a pricematch to Microcenter where they’re selling for
$8.99 / pack + 10% difference (BestBuy 110%
pricematch guarantee).

In case anyone’s interested, if this is a better price,
here’s the link at Microcenter.

Josh

If you have a Sams membership you might find some good ones there. Seen a 50 pk ( + and - ) for $14 Verbatim

Sams Club: Verbatim DVD -R 16X
50 Pk. $11.90

MCC 03RG20

Stopped and picked up 2 packs this evening.

bean55, that’s an awesome price for the pack! Not a
Sam’s member but I’ll give it a try, I think they charge
an extra 10% for non-members?

There’s a possibility about Verbatims selling at BestBuy,
within next week’s promotions, at $9.99 for a 50pk… if this
is true, I’ll visit them again :slight_smile:

I can’t even find Verbatims anywhere. A recon of the local shops yielded very little in terms of variety. Everybody carries the same crap… even if its tdk, or maxell on the outside, its still the same junk inside… Occassionaly I will see a stack of Philips here and there, but the big dogs are Memorex and Sony dominating everything, HP behind that. Welcome to the New World Order. This is why I panicked several years ago when Proctor and Gamble bought Gillette.

Even online stuff is getting harder to find. I have trouble with sites that don’t have a set price listed right away, making you click through pages and pages of how many you want first. Tell you what… Tell me now much they are and based on that I’ll tell you how many I want (or at least can afford…:)) But I agree with the vote for Rima.com - their shipping prices are reasonable too…

I asked a similar question about a month ago. If you wanna check out some of the answers I got too:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/brick-mortar-available-quality-media-253766/

Also, I’ve been getting some mixed info on the verbatim stuff hearing that the 16x was not up to snuff, any opinions on this?