Loading a program into memory on boot

vbimport

Is it possible to load an instance of a program (firefox) into memory on Windows Xp boot up?

On boot up? Or login? Or do you auto-login?

Just put a shortcut in the “startup” folder on the start menu. :wink:

nice simple and effective answer… alternatively for all users on a multi user system, just place a key in the registry at…

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Thanks guys, but what I need is something like this: In KDE (Linux Desktop) the program Konquerer is kinda like Explorer and you can load an instance of it into memory without actually starting up the program. So when you start it loads really fast. The examples you give would actually start the program. Any ideas? Thanks.

No. Windows doesn’t work like that. You COULD try to get the system to prefetch it, but I’m not sure you can manually twiddle the prefetcher like that. Try doing a web search on “prefetch”, that’s the mechanism you’re looking for.

or rigth click the windows media player and check the path, should show you hwo prefetch can work within a shortcut too

I tried it and it does nothing withmost programs, but you never know, give it a go

btw here it is:
“C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe” /prefetch:1

just as an example

Firefox starts instantly and becomes cached after the first run so what’s the point?
//Danne

At http://www.basta.com/ you’ll find a prog, AppToService, which might do the trick. Here’s their info:

AppToService is a Windows Unicode console application that lets you run regular applications and servers as Windows services. This allows you to have some of the benefits of a Windows service,
such as the ability to run an application even when no user is
logged on the computer, the ability to run an application under
a specified user account, the ability to allow an application to
survive logoff/logon sequences, hence saving the overhead of
restarting it for each new user, and so on.
For instance, you can run a dialer application as a service to
automatically connect a computer to the Internet following
unattended reboots.
Stop wishing your application was a service. Make it run like
one with AppToService!