Loading 1080p movie onto hard drive

Hey guys,
I am having some trouble and was hoping that you all could help me out.

I just got a WD media player and I am using an acomdata 1TB external hard drive for storage. I am trying to load a movie that is 10GB onto the external hard drive but it tells me that there is not enough disc space. This doesn’t make any sense to me because 1TB should easily be able to hold a 10GB movie… right?

Do I need to change the format of the movie or something? If I change the format will I lose quality?

Please let me know if this question should be posted in a different forum… i wasn’t quite sure where to post.

Thanks,
AcrylicAce

You need to use another filesystem than FAT32
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2226220]You need to use another filesystem than FAT32
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Sorry i don’t know anything about this stuff… what filesystem should I use and how do I use it? Link?

Again, I don’t really know much about this stuff but could you please explain something to me…

when I right click on the external hard drive and go to “format” it says that the file system is NTFS… not fat32. It also says that the “capacity” is 931 GB… this isn’t right is it?

Can anyone help me?

[QUOTE=AcrylicAce;2226484]Again, I don’t really know much about this stuff but could you please explain something to me…

when I right click on the external hard drive and go to “format” it says that the file system is NTFS… not fat32. It also says that the “capacity” is 931 GB… this isn’t right is it?

Can anyone help me?[/QUOTE]

That sounds about right…cause of the way manufacture hide the real size of the drive is bytes or bits I don’t recall but one of those show the real format after you formatted the HDD and rather then giving you 1TB you get ~931G as your properties show. That is normal after format you loose space. That 1TB is the unformatted capacity. I know I formatted my 250G drive with NTFS and ended having 232G instead. I think there is a thread where users have talked about the loose in HDD space after formatting. Are you sure your going from the your internal HDD to the external HDD when moving the file?? Try copying a smaller file to the ext HDD see what it does? Also make sure your ext HDD is properly connect to the ports in case it is a loose connections.

In a word [B]Yes[/B] 931GB is the correct size for a 1TB hdd a good rule of thumb is take the Mfg’s advertised size times
.931% or 1TB x .931%= 931GB’s. Like coolcolors said I also have a 250GB hdd that comes out to be 232GB after it
has been formated and a 1TB that comes out to be 931GB after format along with a 500GB that comes out to 465GB
along with a 300GB that comes out to 279GB. There is nothing wrong with the drive size but if it is NTFS file system
then you should have no problems in saving a 10GB file size because NTFS isn’t limited to 4GB or less like FAT32 is.
The maximum file size on a FAT32 formatted partition is 4 GB or 4,294,967,296 bytes minus 2 bytes and the NTFS file
system has a B [/B]maximum file size of 16 exabytes or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes so a 10GB size file
should be no problem for you so maybe you have a bad hdd. :confused:

According to hard disc manufacturers, 1 kilobyte = 10^3 byte = 1000 byte. According to most OS vendors and RAM makers, 1 kilobyte = 2^10 byte = 1024 byte.
This means that what a hard disc vendor calls one terabyte is 10^12 bytes (12=34) while according to the other way or counting one terabyte is 2^40 (40=104). So, one terabyte according to method one is about 931 gigabyte according to the latter method - assuming I haven’t messed up my calculations :slight_smile: You also lose a bit of space for overhead (or I guess you could call it accounting) for the file system to keep track of where the files are, what disk space is available, file names, creation dates etc - either this is small enough to dissappear in rounding or (more likely) the disk is slightly bigger than one terabyte.

Unfortunately, I can’t help you with the original problem - I’m not very familiar with Windows.