Live audio burning

vbimport

Hey Guys,

Got a question. I’ve been recording our worship and messages at the church I attend. I use Cool Edit Pro and have a mia sound card. I take a stereo feed off the soundboard and run it through a compressor to my hard drive. Once the service is over I save the wav file onto my hard drive, then burn it onto a CD. I have a Plextor 24/12/40.

Now, my question is, can I burn straight to the CD without saving it as a wav file on my hard drive first? Burning straight to the CD in an audio format so that I don’t have to save to the hard drive first and can just toss off the CD to others to be duplicated?

Thanks for your input!

Lisa

i’m not aware of any way to do this through ur computer, but it’s possible that there may be special recorders that can record live audio straight to a cd. i’m only basing this assumption on the fact that there are cameras that will record live video to a cd.

Originally posted by lkwilson

so that I don’t have to save to the hard drive first
I’m afraid you should do this first.

These links may come in handy :

[COLOR=indigo]How do I transfer my records or cassettes to a CD?

How do I transfer an audio DAT tape to CD?

Good luck ![/COLOR] :wink:

What’s your burner?
I think you will need a burner capable of writing at 1x. Only a few of them can do it.
I think there was program capable of doing what you want… maybe it was PrimoPrassi/VeritasRecordNowMax or NTI CD-Maker (probably the later).

Anyway, it’s much better to record to WAV. You can edit and record to your liking (DAO mode, divide tracks…).

Audio recorders can do this, and perhaps there is software that can do this, but it’d strongly recommend not to do so. What if the writing process failes somehow during the recording?

You’d better record a WAVE to the harddrive first, before mastering it on CDR…

Thanks guys.

Good info. I think I continue recording to my hard drive, but also at some point we may purchase an audio recorder that burns to CD. Our tape duplicator is getting ready to bite the dust and we’d like to go straight CD which would entail burning to cd live but still I would also be recording to the hard drive in a wav format for backup.

Thanks again for all the input! It’s appreciated.

Lisa

if ur intent is to save time, it might not be worth the money to get an audio recorder that can record straight to cd (which i’m sure would be quite expensive), cuz burning a full 80 min cd at 24x only takes a little more than 4 min. if ur intent is to save hard disk space while recording, there are programs that will encode and save audio to compressed formats (such as mp3) on the fly.

Originally posted by lkwilson

I think I continue recording to my hard drive, but also at some point we may purchase an audio recorder that burns to CD.
Buying a new and larger HD might sound as a much cheaper and wiser alternative. :wink: