Little help with subtitles (format, settings, software)

vbimport

I do not usually have to mess with subtitles too often when ripping movies or re-encoding them as I only use them if its a non-english movie.

However I am starting to help friends with some Anime DVD’s and we definitely want subs and with my lack of experience working with subs this is probably the one area I could really use help with when it comes to ripping/encoding movies.

First thing I do is rip the dvd with DVDFab and then use Subrip to convert the Vobsubs into text format with OCR.

So the first questions here are:

1.) Is Subrip still one of the best programs? Its pretty old now

2.) When I am done with the OCR process what is the best format to save the subs in? I have been saving them as SSA and SRT and I notice both of them show up quite differently in a media player and have different options as far as how they display.

Subrip gives limited options on how I want to subs to look in SSA and pretty much no options for SRT.

After saving the subs I noticed I can open the SSA file and edit it manually but not so much for the SRT.

I have found that I like to use SSA with Tahoma font somewhere in the lower 20’s for size, with bottom margin of 10.

With these settings though I found they look totally different in VLC than they do in MPC when playing the files.

I had some strange things happen where they looked bigger in VLC and I wanted to make them lower to the bottom of the screen but when I changed the bottom margin setting they did not move.

I have tried to google around for the SSA settings and learned quite a bit but I think having a topic about it may help me progress further and open my eyes to other options that I have not even explored yet.

Oh and also is there a way to do the OCR process again with Subrip on the Vobsubs without the .VOB or .IFO file say I just extract the .Vob subs and mux them into a .MKV I can not find a way to open those sub files or the mkv with Subrip and this is making me have to keep the original DVD files on hand until I am completely happy with my subtitles.

I hate working with subtitles. It is a necessary evil at times, but I still despise the process. And OCR is a royal pain.

You should look into a program called Subtitle Workshop.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle_Workshop

Also, Subrip has a new beta release, dated May 4th 2011. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subrip

Between them, those programs should be able to deal with most formats. Blu ray subtitles are their own special hell however, and you’ll need BDSUP2SUB for them.

I’m afraid I don’t work with subtitles enough to discuss them in an intelligent manner. I muddle through, learning the capabilities of the tools as I go, then forget half of it before I have to work with subtitles again. :frowning:

Yeah I have the new beta, added some debugging function.

I also have & use subtitle workshop but I only have to use that to repair/fix subtitles that are out of sync or have errors usually or if I am adding them to a film I have that did not have subs and I had to d/l them from an online site.

If I am ripping my own subs they should always be error free and in sync.

But atleast I feel that I am still up to date then with my methods and programs.

Really what I want to learn now is how to really configure subs to look great and know in and out all the configuration options and how to change them at any point if needed.

I figured out how to edit the SSA subs (just open the file in notepad and change the configuration settings at the header) but I have not figured out how to change SRT subs other than to rip them and have Subrip save them again with new options.

I also still have not determined why my programs are showing the same subs differently and what program is “right” and what program is “wrong”

Strangely enough I could not find any real options in Subtitle workshop to edit the format/settings of the subs other than basic font options for bold/underline/italic. It did not even have font size or type options let alone things like margin, border, shadow, etc.

Strangely enough I could not find any real options in Subtitle workshop to edit the format/settings of the subs other than basic font options for bold/underline/italic. It did not even have font size or type options let alone things like margin, border, shadow, etc.

Look under Settings–>Video Preview–>Subtitles. You’ll see a button for Font, where you can change fonts, font style and size. There is a button for color there also, and background color.

I haven’t used it but you might try this one:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDSubEdit

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2594037]Look under Settings–>Video Preview–>Subtitles. You’ll see a button for Font, where you can change fonts, font style and size. There is a button for color there also, and background color.[/QUOTE]

This should be useful I will check that out for sure when I get a chance.

Like Kerry, I also dread/hate working with subs…Having said that, If your final goal is to merge the video/audio/subs in .mkv container(since you mentioned it in 1st post) then use .srt
If your current ripped sub is in .SUP then you can easily convert it with the mentioned DVDSubEdit, it works, I’ve actually tried it…
The steps I took were,
Rip DVD or if already on HDD then use PGCDemux to extract all the streams.
Fire up DVDSubEdit and drag n drop the .SUP file run OCR within program> and save as .SRT
Install MKVToolnix and fire up Mkvmergegui, add video/audio/srt and merge…
There you have it, a merged .mkv file, that plays perfectly fine with VLC and MPC Home…And btw, you can easily extract the .srt from the mkv using MKVExtract gui, and no need to use the original .vob or .ifo (since you mentioned that in 1st post)…
Good luck n have fun!..:wink:

You left out a step t0nee1…as you do the OCR you get to spend an hour and a half fixing the misspellings/wrong word usage before saving as an .srt! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2594196]You left out a step t0nee1…as you do the OCR you get to spend an hour and a half fixing the misspellings/wrong word usage before saving as an .srt! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Why deprive the OP of all that “fun”…:bigsmile:

OCR is not too bad for me.

I type pretty quick and I find that the few common issues the OCR has are corrected pretty well with the “try to fix X problem” feature in Subrip.

Id probably rather OCR my own subs rather than d/l subs from online because then you have to mess with frame rate and sync issues and that stuff drives me more nuts than anything. I suck at trying to manually sync audio or subs to a video file because I never can trust myself to know when its right or off in one direction or another.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2594170]Like Kerry, I also dread/hate working with subs…Having said that, If your final goal is to merge the video/audio/subs in .mkv container(since you mentioned it in 1st post) then use .srt
If your current ripped sub is in .SUP then you can easily convert it with the mentioned DVDSubEdit, it works, I’ve actually tried it…
The steps I took were,
Rip DVD or if already on HDD then use PGCDemux to extract all the streams.
Fire up DVDSubEdit and drag n drop the .SUP file run OCR within program> and save as .SRT
Install MKVToolnix and fire up Mkvmergegui, add video/audio/srt and merge…
There you have it, a merged .mkv file, that plays perfectly fine with VLC and MPC Home…And btw, you can easily extract the .srt from the mkv using MKVExtract gui, and no need to use the original .vob or .ifo (since you mentioned that in 1st post)…
Good luck n have fun!..;)[/QUOTE]

I use a lot of this already, pretty familar with MKVToolnix.

The reason I was saying I needed the original .VOB was to run Subrip to do the OCR.

However it seems your saying that DVDSubEdit can run OCR on just the .SUP file, so as long as I find the OCR to work just as good in that program or better than Subrip that will be good and I will have a new way I can do things.

Yep! try it out for yourself and see…Last one I processed it worked great…And if any sub editing [I]is[/I] needed, you did say you “type pretty quick”…
Good luck!!..

90wpm average :smiley:

Fast, but there are a lot of computer savvy people much faster than me.

Yeah well—I’m not one of them…Which is [I]one[/I] reason for hating working with subs…:cool: