LiteOn XJ-HD166S (DS1C) Should I upgrade

vbimport

Hey all… I’ve still got an aging LiteOn XJ-HD166S (DS1C) that’s still ripping and reading strong! I’m thinking that the newer readers and or another writer would do its job and then some… so is it worth the 20-30 to upgrade to another reader or another writer? Any recommendations are appreciated!

:slight_smile:

I still have a 167T that I use on a daily basis. As I recall, your 166 also reads RAM discs, (could be wrong) and was a pretty good reader. I see no reason to change, unless you need a reader that will work on damaged discs. There is an ASUS ROM drive that is very good at this. My new Liteon ROM drive is still on the shelf waiting for the 167 to die.

Hi,

You’re right. That drive supports DVD-RAM. It was the last one built by JVC/Liteon joint venture.

I see no reason to change, unless you need a reader that will work on damaged discs.
:iagree: I agree totally:iagree:
Also, there is the option to install newer firmware, as the latest is DS1E - and there are “Codeguys Special” firmwares available :cool:

Michael

Now don’t let us stop you from buying new hardware just for fun… I mean if I had to justify every hardware purchase based on need I would still be using my NEC 3500.