Liteon to take over BenQ

vbimport

Rumor has it that LiteOn will take over BENQ!!!
From the CDR-INFO Website…

BenQ said LITE-ON IT will take over its optical storage business in exchange for 1.2 bln twd in cash and a 13 pct LITE-ON stake in an agreement reached today.

The strategic alliance is expected to bring together two of the industry’s leading players and enhance the overall competitiveness of Taiwan’s storage sector. The transaction is expected to increase Lite-On IT’s global market share to 27%, making it the world’s No. 2 optical disk drive (ODD) maker, behind Hitachi-LG Data Storage (HLDS).

As part of the alliance, Lite-On IT will acquire BenQ’s storage-related assets, including BenQ’s ODM customer portfolio and the rights to use BenQ’s technology portfolio. Lite-On IT will also receive order commitments on BenQ-branded storage products. Additionally, BenQ will acquire two seats on Lite-On IT’s board of directors.

“This strategic alliance combined with our manufacturing advantages, will allow Lite-On IT to further sharpen its competitiveness in the ODM market and become the No. 2 ODD manufacturer worldwide,” expressed Raymond Soong, Chairman of Lite-On IT. “In partnering with BenQ, Lite-On IT expects to benefit from increased manufacturing efficiency, greater economies of scale, and a larger market share.”

“We believe our customers will benefit from this powerful partnership,” commented K.Y. Lee, Chairman of BenQ Corporation. “BenQ will continue focusing on the marketing and sales of our storage products and this strategic transaction will allow BenQ to better address our ODD branded and 3C opportunities and customers’ needs,” added Mr. Lee.

BenQ, which counts top PC giants such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard as major clients, has been aggressively marketing its own brand globally, selling laptops, LCD TVs and digital cameras under its own name.

Both companies expect to close the transaction on or about 1 June 2006.

Hope you guys like Liteon…They will be taking over BENQ optical.
Friom CDR-INFO Website…

BenQ said LITE-ON IT will take over its optical storage business in exchange for 1.2 bln twd in cash and a 13 pct LITE-ON stake in an agreement reached today.

The strategic alliance is expected to bring together two of the industry’s leading players and enhance the overall competitiveness of Taiwan’s storage sector. The transaction is expected to increase Lite-On IT’s global market share to 27%, making it the world’s No. 2 optical disk drive (ODD) maker, behind Hitachi-LG Data Storage (HLDS).

As part of the alliance, Lite-On IT will acquire BenQ’s storage-related assets, including BenQ’s ODM customer portfolio and the rights to use BenQ’s technology portfolio. Lite-On IT will also receive order commitments on BenQ-branded storage products. Additionally, BenQ will acquire two seats on Lite-On IT’s board of directors.

“This strategic alliance combined with our manufacturing advantages, will allow Lite-On IT to further sharpen its competitiveness in the ODM market and become the No. 2 ODD manufacturer worldwide,” expressed Raymond Soong, Chairman of Lite-On IT. “In partnering with BenQ, Lite-On IT expects to benefit from increased manufacturing efficiency, greater economies of scale, and a larger market share.”

“We believe our customers will benefit from this powerful partnership,” commented K.Y. Lee, Chairman of BenQ Corporation. “BenQ will continue focusing on the marketing and sales of our storage products and this strategic transaction will allow BenQ to better address our ODD branded and 3C opportunities and customers’ needs,” added Mr. Lee.

BenQ, which counts top PC giants such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard as major clients, has been aggressively marketing its own brand globally, selling laptops, LCD TVs and digital cameras under its own name.

Both companies expect to close the transaction on or about 1 June 2006.

checks it’s not the 1st of April :bigsmile:

Wow! That’s an interesting development. You just never know what the future will bring. :wink:

Yes just saw the news as well. I’m not very optimistic… :disagree:

1st post in over 1 and a half years :bigsmile:

I’m not very optimistic…

neither am i :sad:

who knows, maybe they will put technologies from both companies together???

Weddings are expensive. Guess who will pay?

LiteON will not take patents from Philips technologies (OPU and chipset). That means end of good BenQ burners. Last BenQ by BenQ is DW1670, all new will be made by LiteON, so we should expect worse quality of burners in future.
I dont think it is so good.

Blimey…interesting to say the least!

The BenQ 1670 used a Panasonic chipset, not the Philips/Nexperia.

You must be clairvoyant since you can see into the future. :rolleyes: What other LiteOn drives do you currently have or had in the past?

Well, i wouldn’t worry much about that since LiteOn is back in business with their latest drives. So let’s see what would happen, when two companies share their experience on this market.

I dont say LiteON is bad, I just say that BenQ drives will devaluate, coz BenQ had better quality.
PS. “DW1670 and the 820 use a crappy Panasonic (ughhh) chipset, while BenQ uses the excellent Philips chipset in the DW1620/1625/1640/1650/1655 series … The Philips DVDR1648 is another excellent unit with utilities nearly the same as BenQ’s”

Quote from google, just search ‘BenQ 1670 chipset’

We dont need to aurgue, we will see what the future will bring.

Hmm just found that it has Panasonic chipset, Im bit confused now…

Time will tell and we will see. I dont like less choice but we will see.

I’m sorry to say dArkPL but I don’t think that’s completely correct! Lite-On it self also makes very Good quality burners. I have both Lite-On and BenQ burners and found the newer Lite-On Burners burn just as good and better on some media. Well Philips still makes burners so if anybody wants a burner with a Philips chipset they can buy a Philips Burner. :slight_smile:

Let’s hope us end-users will get to benefit from this merger. Hopefully both companies can complement each other and deliver great products and service for customers. Wishful thinking??

Doesn’t BenQ actually makes both burners for itself and Philips but just uses the Philips chipset?

Disappointing news to say the least, at least Philips I hope will still be making drives based on their own chipsets.

I really dont see how this could be considered as good news.

we may never see external firmwares for dw1655/1650 :sad: