Liteon suddenly won't burn audio!

vbimport

I have a 16x Liteon burner which has given me solid performance for nearly 2 years, however i have just updated to xp home and went to copy some audio i had on my hard drive, using nero 5.5 ( which i updated to 5.5.10.28 online.
nero started fine, said it was starting to burn, the burner began spinning, red light came on and i sat back to wait for the finished “ding”, nothing…orange light came on the cdrw and it basically hung there only way to get out was to reset the computer. rebooting i tried to burn a data cd from files on my harddrive, fine no problem, so i tried a direct cd copy from an original audio cd, no problem worked fine.
So i am stumped, i can’t burn audio files from my hard drive to the cd burner, i have updated via hyperion drivers but to no effect.
My kit is as follows:
PIII 1Ghz
512mb RAM
Hitachi DVD drive
LG 52 x CD ROM
Liteon 1610B 16x CDRW

Asus P34x apollo pro 133a chipset

o/s windows xp home

Can anybody help before i end up swimming in coasters???

Probably the problem is in XP, not your burner.

It wouldn’t know what the source was – if it burned in copy mode and the copy was OK then something else is sticking its ugly nose in…

Have you disabled XP’s cut-down edition of Roxio?

Originally posted by Idle
[B]Probably the problem is in XP, not your burner.

It wouldn’t know what the source was – if it burned in copy mode and the copy was OK then something else is sticking its ugly nose in…

Have you disabled XP’s cut-down edition of Roxio? [/B]

thats what i was wondering? just seems very strange, i am running the cdRW alongwith a 52x cd rom and DVD drive in my tower case, the 2 x HD 80GB and 40GB are on a promise TX2 100 ide card with the CD and DVD drives on Primary and secondary IDE1, with CD RW on the primary of IDE2 so as not to effect the operation of the other drives, jumper set to cable select.
i have found a new update on microsoft web site regarding:

812415 - Problems When Your Computer with Multiple ATA Drives Enters the S1 Pow, this could cause hanging, i will download patch to see if this maybe the problem.

I was thinking it could be an IDE problem, but this would affect all burning, not just audio from my hard drive.

I didnt know xp had a cut down version of Roxio? what do i have to do to get rid of this.
thanks for your help

You’ll probably find it in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services/Local Services (at least, that’s where it is in XP Pro).

For lots of info on these sort of things try the Black Viper website.

BTW, if I were you I wouldn’t be using cable select on burner etc.

Use the master/slave settings just as you would in Win98 et. al.

Cable select is fine for RAID systems in XP, but I never use it otherwise – my outfit has RAID (2x60GB) on MB, removable HD as master on IDE0 with DVD reader as slave and a second removable HD as master on IDE1, plus Plextor SCSI writer and 2 scanners on SCSI bus – all work fine.

You didn’t move the Promise card to another PCI slot, did you? this can also be a source of grief.

Originally posted by Idle
[B]You’ll probably find it in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services/Local Services (at least, that’s where it is in XP Pro).

For lots of info on these sort of things try the Black Viper website.

www.blackviper.com/

BTW, if I were you I wouldn’t be using cable select on burner etc.

Use the master/slave settings just as you would in Win98 et. al.

Cable select is fine for RAID systems in XP, but I never use it otherwise – my outfit has RAID (2x60GB) on MB, removable HD as master on IDE0 with DVD reader as slave and a second removable HD as master on IDE1, plus Plextor SCSI writer and 2 scanners on SCSI bus – all work fine.

You didn’t move the Promise card to another PCI slot, did you? this can also be a source of grief. [/B]

promise card hasnt been moved, all was working fine until the other day, nothing new has been installed as far as i am aware, except via hyperion drivers, i am going to select system restore and bring my pc back to its state just after nero was first installed, i’ll keep you posted.