LiteOn SOHW-832S Firmware: VS04

DR8VS04.zip Windows 508 KB 2004/06/09

Most DVD players that can’t read DVD+RW or DVD+R discs are the older models. This version firmware allows users to modify the BookType setting of a DVD recordable media, thus enhancing the media read compatibility in older DVD playback devices. ( For relevant information, please visit the " Utility " section of this website. )

This fw has internal date of 2004/5/19

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_dvd%20rw.asp

How odd. VS01/03 all supported bitsetting just fine…

Thanks for the heads-up, Ken. :wink:

Ya isnt it, and there was the rumour of leaked VS05 fw around. But you know how Rumours go.

Like the F/W in OC’s scans? :wink:

How true code, well only time will tell but two fw in less then 7 days has to be a record :slight_smile:

VS04 has 41,615 differences from VS03, xflashx works o.k. It will take more time to see what the differences are.

Only 40 KB out of a 1024 KB firmware? That’s gotta be one of the most minor releases I’ve ever seen! Indeed, VS04’s media support isn’t even as extensive as US0N’s! Iiiiinteresting.

This may interest some I usually do dvd+RW erase , write , erase cycle on new fw to be sure my first dvd+R burn does not get any memory left over from before any way I usually use nero speed to do the burn as it has that nice create test disk function, any way thats what I did this time too. but when I kprobed the DVD+RW I found that the level of the graphs was about 20-30 points lower then my scans from the older fw on the pi levels.

Yeah Ken. Same for me :slight_smile:

C0deKing

yes that mkm DVD+RW looks like much better stuff then this ricohw11 is , but still it would seem our version 4 fw does have better reading or maybe read and write both to RW media im out of 8x dvd±R except for cmcE01 and AE1 I have never had good 8x on this media with liteon i hate to waste it to see if 4 does any better. I may try on burn later though I wish i had some mcc003 left.

Well I did the dvd+r cmc-E01 8x burn on VS04 fw

nero 6.3.1.15

832 owners with VS03/04 firmware, please post pi/po scans and nero dvd speed reading curves of recorder dvdr’s.
i need more info to decide between liteon 832 or nec 2510.
thank you very much

Verbatim Pastel DVD-R TYG01

Here’s another (and this is good one by my standards!). Best burn I’ve had yet:

Liteon DVD-R 4x (Ritek G04)

hello guys
i read the 832 review on cdrinfo and it shows that VS01 firwmare produces not very good quality disk. many scans show that quality decreases at the end of the disk.
i know liteon released VS04 fw some days ago, so i was asking if there are any scans of dvdr’s that were burned with liteon 832s VS04 fw.
i have to decide between 832 or nec 2510.
thank you very much

i burned several Disks with Liteon SOHW-832S so far and the onbly Disk that wanst burned successfully was a Labeled Liteon DVD-R in the package with cmc mag af1 MID (i suppose crappy media).
here some scans.

The brands i tested were mostly Verbatim and Intenso and the packaged Disks who came with the burner (the shops here a some kind of lame no real 8x DVD-/+Rs and the last i ve spoken yesterday was confused that i had an Dual Layer compatible burner and mumbled something about autumn)
I try to get some TDK the next time (they were sold out lol)

It seems my drive can burn CMC -R :slight_smile:
But I have no idea for how to read the graph, because the first 3 is the same disc, and the last 2 are the same disc.
They read back prefect in 832S.

Just upgraded my 812s with US0N to 832s with VS04, just because I was bored. Popped in some media and look what I got! Best burn ever, woot!

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R01]
Product Revision : [002]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

First one burned with 812s, second with 832s, both discs from the same batch (actually consecutive discs).

Indeed, your last scan looks rather nice for CMC. I love VS04, my favorite firmware yet.

Merged a few threads with this VS04 thread. Please, don’t take it personally; just trying to keep things together so that things are easier for people to find. :slight_smile: