Liteon SOHW-832s dual layer

vbimport

Folks,

I have had the dual layer liteon drive a mere 24 hours and already there are those who are being hasty at saying I am hiding information and or not provding detailed info, or bragging etc etc,

Just settle petal, the last 24 hours have been hectic both with my work, my family and looking at this new drive and updating infopro to support its extra modes and features.

Here is some info you have all been so anxious to see. This is my second post of this (watch out for the phantom post deleter)

The drive (SOHW-832s) is a DVD-R 8x, DVD+R 8x, DVD-RW 4x, DVD+RW 4x, and DVD+R DL 2.4x.

I have looked at the drive and compared it to a 812s. Unless I am mistaken it seems to use the same chipset but different revisions and the PUH seems to be different. The spindle motor also has a different part number. How much of this is relevant remains to be seen.

SOHW-832s:
Chipsets
MT1816E 0404 BUS y51290
MT1818E 0402 ARS HG2R8

Spindle motor:
Sony DRW-2S Part # 310177BDC

PUH:
BQ3549-2P DB SLO-E

SOHW-812s:
Chipsets
MT1816E 0347 BUS Z35132-SE2
MT1818E 0339 ARS HFSK9

Spindle Motor:
Sony DVW-2S Part # 310201ADC

PUH:
AQ9994-DR DBSLO-D

More info as it comes to light,

Cheers
NicW

Will this make any sort of difference trying to OC the 812S to a 832S?

How bout leaking the firmware for testing?

Good info none the less…

Originally posted by Hypnosis4U2NV
[B]Will this make any sort of difference trying to OC the 812S to a 832S?

Good info none the less… [/B]

Actually, since he also has a 812S… :wink:

[B]Will this make any sort of difference trying to OC the 812S to a 832S?

Good info none the less… [/B]

Sorry as much as I would like to I simply cannot bite the hand that feeds me. It would be very unethical of me to release the firmware :wink:

cheers
NicW

Thanks for all the info NicW

NicW: Understood… Though it shouldnt stop you from fooling around with it? (i.e 812S@832S) :bigsmile:

NicW: Understood… Though it shouldnt stop you from fooling around with it? (i.e 812S@832S) :bigsmile:

…since he’s also the one with the DL media to test to see if the OC worked. But then again, I’m not sure if he’d be willing to kill a (very expensive) DL disc testing that.

Originally posted by nicw
It would be very unethical of me to release the firmware :wink:

I am curious about the version, though. VST_?

Hmm yeah well, they are $50US per disc, and I have three. I have not burned any at all yet as I want to make sure the test is useful first.

I may get time to look at 812s@832S if i do I will post or get one of my colleagues to do so.

Cheers
NicW

Originally posted by code65536
…since he’s also the one with the DL media to test to see if the OC worked. But then again, I’m not sure if he’d be willing to kill a (very expensive) DL disc testing that.

I didnt quite think about the media and its cost… :eek: Yea, that would be a pretty expensive ‘test’…

Originally posted by code65536
I am curious about the version, though. VST_?

Firmware version is VSV2

cheers
NicW

Since it’s a pretty hot discussion and drives seems to be appearing all over now…I see no reason to keep it secret anymore.

I’ve had my 812S @ 832S without any problems. Not had dual layer media to test with, but everything else works fine :wink:

Firmware I used is VSTY:

Nope, I am not allowed to give out the firmware. And yes there is a protection in the EEPROM that prevents the upgrade with just a simple firmware flashing. (EEPROM needs modification).

But nope, I do not think this drive could be clocked to 12x or 16x.

@OC

:eek: :bow: :smiley: :slight_smile: :bigsmile:

Tease… :cool:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Since it’s a pretty hot discussion and drives seems to be appearing all over now…I see no reason to keep it secret anymore.

I’ve had my 812S @ 832S without any problems. Not had dual layer media to test with, but everything else works fine :wink:

Firmware I used is VSTY:

Nope, I am not allowed to give out the firmware. And yes there is a protection in the EEPROM that prevents the upgrade with just a simple firmware flashing. (EEPROM needs modification).

But nope, I do not think this drive could be clocked to 12x or 16x. [/B]

why not use Nero INFOTOOL v2.21 which can show DL support or not…

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Since it’s a pretty hot discussion and drives seems to be appearing all over now…I see no reason to keep it secret anymore.
…snip

if you like I can send you a pre-release of DVDInfoPro V2.40 which I have added (adding) DL support to.

cheers
NicW

Originally posted by sunicer
why not use Nero INFOTOOL v2.21 which can show DL support or not…

Nero infotool 2.21 was not released when I made the screenshot (about a week ago).

Right now I’m using it as a SOHW-812S since I’m reviewing it. But the review will be finished in 3-4 days, and then it’s up to SOHW-832S again :stuck_out_tongue:

So the question is, is the 812S a bargain 832S or not…and does it matter with the media being so expensive anyway…

Originally posted by nicw
[B]if you like I can send you a pre-release of DVDInfoPro V2.40 which I have added (adding) DL support to.

cheers
NicW [/B]

Nic, could you please send it my way as well?