Liteon Sohw-812s

O.K. I have checked it out. If you are brave and have a x51/x81 drive and want to give it a try do so at your own risk. Be warned that they have modified it as an 8X for all version however it is likely you will not get 6X or 8X -R burning speeds unless you have some real -R 8X media. Simply changing the -R speeds will not get the higher speed -R writing. It needs the info from the disc…

Since you’ve already done it the mod…
If you have a backup of your EEPROM before the mod, can you do a checksum (use ltnflash) on your original EEPROM to see if they are the same?
I want to know if it’s only a firmware change.

LtnFlash can only compare the checksum for the firmware, not for the EEPROM data, however, you could get two EEPROM backup .bin files and compare them from the command line using “fc filename1.bin filename2.bin”

I doubt that the EEPROM is changed…

Good to know. Thanks :bigsmile:

Does anyone know if the 451S/851S EEPROM contains 8x -R calibration data? That would help explain why the 451S/851S was done first.

PS- I know people are going to be trying it so I though I’d mention it’s always a good idea to backup your current firmware and EEPROM (again use LtnFlash) before modifying your drive. Actually it’s always a good idea to have a backup copy period. :iagree:

I just tried to do a hex comparison with the 451 and 812 firmware. but then I want to know how you guys read the calibration data with the hex code? obviously the ascii part has no meaning except i can see the brand and date. :confused:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Good to know. Thanks :bigsmile:

Does anyone know if the 451S/851S EEPROM contains 8x -R calibration data? That would help explain why the 451S/851S was done first.

PS- I know people are going to be trying it so I though I’d mention it’s always a good idea to backup your current firmware and EEPROM (again use LtnFlash) before modifying your drive. Actually it’s always a good idea to have a backup copy period. :iagree: [/B]

I think that the EEPROM does not contain 8x -R data - it’s the FW that should dictate the writing strategy for -R’s… But please do correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by johnsk
it’s the FW that should dictate the writing strategy for -R’s…

True, but the EEprom still needs calibration data for 8x dvd-r writing.

The 451/851 eeprom has calibration data for 6X and 8X writing. The calibration is not specific to + or -. The firmware contains the write strategy for the specific media and also a generic strategy. In the case of 6X and 8X -R writing it appears that the drive also needs the 6X and 8X write desciptor fiels that should be pre-recorded on a real 8X disc. For +R @ 8X this does not appear to be an issue. Time will tell if these drives will actually write -R @ 8X. It needs to be tested with some real 8X -R media which seems to be in short supply. Finally because the 8X calibration data was already present in the 451 eeprom, that is the reason why the 451@851 was done first.

The Pioneer 107 is able to write @8x on several 4x media, for example Ritek G04. All you need is a hacked firmware.

Maybe the 4x limitation in the firmware can be removed for these discs and the “generic” 8x writing strategy of the eeprom could be used?

I thought I remember reading Zebra writing in another thread that he’s already looked into this calibration thing and that the 51s has it. Maybe I’m remembering wrong…

Originally posted by worker
Well since someone else has also figured this out I will say yes it can be done, but only for x51 drives. If you have a x11 drive you are out of luck at this time. That may change but not quickly. I have not tried this flasher but have downloaded it and will take a look.

I gave this mod a try on my 451@851 using only the flasher and it flashed ok, was able to read discs, but when trying to write a Ritek G04 minus at 8X it hung at the lead in stage with Nero 6.3.3.0. I also tried 6X and 4X , same thing happened. I then tried plus disc at 8X and 4X- same again.
I tried the Ritek discs at 8X because Smartburn said they were 8X.
Reverted back to original 451@851 GSOA and all is well
If I am doing someting wrong could someone point me in the right direction?
TIA
Scootz.

Originally posted by scootz
I gave this mod a try on my 451@851 using only the flasher and it flashed ok, was able to read discs, but when trying to write a Ritek G04 minus at 8X it hung at the lead in stage with Nero 6.3.3.0. I also tried 6X and 4X , same thing happened. I then tried plus disc at 8X and 4X- same again.
I tried the Ritek discs at 8X because Smartburn said they were 8X.
Reverted back to original 451@851 GSOA and all is well
If I am doing someting wrong could someone point me in the right direction?
TIA
Scootz.

Well, I guess the good news is that if it doesn’t go well, reverting back shouldn’t be too difficult.

If someone could try with something else than Nero … :bow:

Originally posted by thibouille
If someone could try with something else than Nero … :bow:

Could this be a software issue?

Originally posted by scootz
Could this be a software issue?

But why would it be?

I will say that there was a time a few weeks ago when my 451S would keep hanging during the lead-in. It was really frustrating, and I lost a few blank discs before I finally rebooted the computer, which magically solved the problem. I doubt that it’d be of much help here, but… [shrugs]…

i used the firmware on my 451@851 and it worked
i ripped terminator 3 and it read/ripped it fine

burning was the same scootz… hung at 1% (lead in) on nero 6.3.0.3

also used dvddecrypter to try a burn… did not work. actually it did nothin at all to the RitekG04 disk.

I was able to revert back to 851 and burn T3 to that disk…

I also tried loading the 812 eeprom aswell… no luck there either…

I’m at work at the moment, but i think the eeprom had 49 differeces than the 851/451 eeprom, mainly being that it says SONY CORPORATION in the file

Hm… It’s not a good idea to load this eeprom on your drive. You know that the eeprom contains calibration data which are unique for each drive.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
I tried the mod on my 851s and the drive works good!!!
But I hope that next firmwares will make drive work better! :eek:
Look to the scan I made with kprobe on a bulkpaq 4x written @8x.

Sorry for my bad english…
Byez!!! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by check
[B]:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Byez!!! :slight_smile: [/B]

Bulkpaq dvd+r or dvd-r ?

Originally posted by check
[B]:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Byez!!! :slight_smile: [/B]

Hmm. We already have a few reports of failures. How did you get yours to work? And is your drive originally a 851 or is it a 451@851?