Liteon SOHW 1653S (CS0T) read sector errors!

Hi.
I’ve visited these forums for quite some time now, everything said was informative and easy to follow. Anyhow my liteon 1633s flashed with a 1653s (basically its the same hardware) seems to be giving me read sector errors.
As if late after I burn a dvd (so far cd’s burn fine) sometimes the dvd would not play or cause my drive to freeze up. So I decided to verify data after burning and was plagued with read sector errors, so i guess that was causing the drive to freeze up. My question is how do I fix that problem ? :confused:

thanks in advance.

The 1653S has a read bug at 12X (if you search you will find a lot of post). This bug only appears when doing a rip or a read speed test.
[B]This doesnot affect the burning quality[/B].
When you crossflashed your drive to 1653S did you clear the memory???
Also what media are you using??? This drive is a very picky one. You should get no trouble with MCC03. This media gave me the best result before I retired my 1653S.

Well I see this read error during some transfer rate tests too with my 1693.
Does this drive also has this bug?

No. The 1693S is fine. But it is still the old 3S serie. So it will not read as well as some Benq/ philips for exemple. I have set mine to:
+/-R = 12X
DVDrom = 16X
DVDR9 = 12X

That way I am sure not to get the drop. With some very good quality media, it can reach 16X with no problem.

"The 1653S has a read bug at 12X (if you search you will find a lot of post). This bug only appears when doing a rip or a read speed test.
This doesnot affect the burning quality.?

A read bug at 12x ?. When its verfying im not sure if it reaches 12x. But it says burn successfully completed after the burn

"When you crossflashed your drive to 1653S did you clear the memory???"
I crossflashed a while ago, I dont belive i cleared the memory as I do not know how. But i do remember having to put in a parameter to force flash.

Some burns seem to read and work quite well while others just wont read. Also tried those that wont read on my laptop which has a teac dvd rom and my desktop’s hd166s dvd rom with same result.

You need to download eeprom utility , then open it, [B]select the correct drive[/B], and click on “reset learnt media”.

Thanks, bichonn! I will check my speed settings in the fw with omnipatcher and correct the values to yours!

Tried the “reset learnt media” and tested a dvd read errors are still there. When its veryfying it doesnt reach 12x so i don’t think its that bug. I don’t think the media is bad as I have burned successfully with many of them. Suggestions ?.

Why don’t you post a CD speed graph of your read test and a scan?

Using the nero cd/dvd speed program and a burnt dvd that has the read sector errors. After a short while benchmarking I get the message "Error L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR (031105)"
The program also says that highest option to read at is 8x.
I performed a scan disc and there are Bad areas of the dvd. The media which I am using is CMC MAG E01