Liteon SOHW-1633S doesn't operate on Windows Vista

I recently upgraded to Windows vista and although installation went well from the DVD drive, it does not appear anymore on my system.

Under the device manager the DVDRW is recognized as a
“Sony DVD RW DW-D22A ATA Device”

but the device status is:
“Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”

The LiteOn website has no device driver for this model (only firmware upgrades). Windows Vista finds no solution for this.

I tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting with no success.

can anyone help me?

Thanks!

I’ve never used Vista before, but sounds like it may be a IDE related driver issue. Have you tried installing the default Mircosoft IDE drivers and/or the newest for your motherboards chipset? It’s a common error to worry about the driver for the optical drive when most of the time it’s actually IDE drivers that cause driver related issues.

There is no drivers for this hardware (sorry if there are mistakes because I’m French). I have the solution to fix your problem, I had the same and solved it like this :

• execute regedit
  • search the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • When you found it delete Upperfilter and lowerfilter entries.
  • Reboot your system.
    It’s magic you’ll see your DVD-ROM drive in your computeur again and it will work!!
    Good by

MAN YOU ARE THE BEST I LOVE YOU!!! I was going crazy and when I went to the support website of my computer they said that they did not had the drivers for vista and I wanted to shoot myself. THANKYOU very much!!!

ok i’m kinda of new at computers so can sumbody tell me wut he means by deletein upperfilter and lower filter entries

I have this model dvd writer so am glad tohear it works with vista with a reg edit fix in case i use this drive with vista.

more importantly for now, does anyone know if this drive will work to make xbox 360 backups on DVD+R DL media?

the solution provided by radicalrider is fantastic! if anyone stumbles across this thread, be sure to try it out

For the dubious, here’s a related Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB314060) link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060