LiteOn SOHW-1633S BS0R Burning Speeds

vbimport

I am currently trying to back up my NTSC format PS2 DVDs so that I can play them on my PAL PS2.

But I have run into several problems when doing so, I have bought Verbatim 4x DVD-R, and Infiniti 8x DVD-R. And both Nero and DVD Decrypter state the minimum burn speed is 4x. When I’m almost positive that the Verbatim atleast burns at 1x (Which I mean to burn at as to reduce the errors in burning).

I have updated the firmware to BSOR from the LiteOn website.

So back to the actual question, I’m wanting to burn at ‘very’ slow speeds 1 or 2x preferably, but the minimum I am able to do with the LiteOn SOHW-1633S is burning at 4x. Is this the minimum speed it can do? And if so, are there any possible methods to get around it and burn at a slower speed?

Thanks, Andy.

Please see this Q&A in the DVD-Writer FAQ.

That slower burning will always create better quality is a myth. If the drive doesn’t support it at slower speeds, then chances are, it’d burn worse at slower speeds if you force it.

Ok thanks, if thats the case, then are there any CDs with better suited chemicals for 4x burning other than the Verbatim 4x DVDs (Currently causing Audio Sync problems and slow loading times - even when all background programs are closed using EndItAll during the burning process).

Furthermore, if there aren’t any DVD-Rs that are significantly better at burning than the Verbatims, are there any drives that do support 1x burning?

Thanks, Andy.

I’ve just had a new pc with one of these drives.I’m getting reasonable burns with Datawrite Red 8X DVD-R burned at 4x if this is any help.
It’s a very fussy drive where choice of media is concerned,i’m still looking for better compatibility.

Regards

Phil Newey

To add to this, I did a PI/PIF Test on one of my PS2 backups which was giving me problems - and got the following readings:

Model : 2-0-2-0 D:LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0R
Disc : DVD-R , TYG01 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2197153
Sampling count : 116481
Errors : 0
PI Max : 59
PI Average : 24.97
PI Total : 413040
PIF Max : 21
PIF Average : 0.03
PIF Total : 467

Generally meaning, that these errors need to be ‘very’ low for a perfectly playable burn.

@ andrewrey
You need to scan with kprobe 2.4.2 at 4X scan speed, the forum standard for comparison(tho the numbers don’t look bad). Also, posting the graph itself would be helpful. After the scan, before ejecting disc, click the diskette icon and save as a .png file. Post using the ‘manage attachments’ button in the ‘go advanced’ reply window.

Ok thanks please - Newly done PI/PIF error test.

@ andrewrey
That’s a very good burn for -R media. I’m not sure you can get consistently better PIF totals/maxs with anything else. If you need better burns for the PI totals/maxs, you could try some +R media(with RICOHJPNR01@4x burn speed you may get lower PIF, but no guarantee,but you will get lower PI) with bitsetting(changing the booktype to “dvd-rom” to be playable), but I don’t know if that will help with the PS2 reading problem…PI’s are considered correctable.

Thanks, I’m buying a Lens cleaning kit to remove yet another possibility.

Also, are is the Ritek Go4 dye considerably better than the Verbatim one? As I’ve heard nothing but appraisals about the Go4/Go5 dye.

@ andrewrey
TYG01 and RITEKG04 are two of the better -R media you can get…IMHO its a toss-up only based on what I have read here as I dont/haven’t used either one. If one type doesn’t work well, try the other…or whatever is cheaper in your area.

Well there both relatively cheap around here, and I’ve ordered some Ritek GO4 ones, when they arrive in the post later this week, I’ll repost with the PI/PIF errors, burning the same speed and iso, and also post feedback as well - might be able to see which of the two dyes are preferred by the 1633S.

Andy.

I’ve burned the same image with both DVDs now, and I think there ‘must’ be a compatibility issue.

1. Ritek G04 4x
  2. Verbatim 4x

@ andrewrey
That TYG01 burn is very good. Similar to your previously posted TY scan. Fairly high-but consistent PI but excellent PIF max and total…you can’t ask for a better burn!! I hope that disc is up to your standards and reads as you need it to. Not so good G04 burn for your burner.

i am having the EXACT same problem… i am using DVD Decrypter… it even lets me select a lower speed like 2x but when i start the burn it goes at 4x… and the games work but they are laggy and it is because of this.

i use Maxell DVD-R’s and they even say 1x - 8x on the disc.

i heard that maxells are also Grade A Ritek G04s…

anyone? please.

thanks

@ guidz
Welcome:) you may want to post a few Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans of the offending discs scanned at 4x scan speed(the forum standard for comparison). After the scan(about 14 minutes) select the diskette icon on the toolbar before ejecting disc, and save as a .png file. Attach to a post using the ‘manage attachments’ button in the ‘go advanced’ reply window. Please also include the burn speeds. You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. Using this tool , we can determine if the discs are your problem.