LiteOn SOHW-1633S (Badged as Digital Max DRW-3S163) only burns at 2x

I just bought this drive at officeMAX for cheap, used dvdxcopy to make a copy of a movie, it had to burn at about the full 16x cause it was done in about 35-40 minutes. I went to burn a dvd-r and it will only let me burn at 2x :frowning: Not so cool when you have a 16x burner. I’m using Nero that came with it(v 6.3.1.11 bundled). Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
jklaroe

Edit Stupid me, I can only burn at 2x with that media :frowning:

hey jk: what is the media id of the dvd’s that you are trying to burn ?? also just and fyi liteon drives seems to like +r media better than -r.

BTW: Update your nero, it is a bit old.

@jklaroe

Usual reason for being limited to 2x burning is DMA being disabled for your drive. What operating system are you running on?

Using windows XP Pro with Sp2
Media is…
DVD-R
Ritek Corp.
RITEKG03
1x, (2x)

And I’m pretty sure DMA is enabled. I’m using Nforce drivers.

I just noticed your edit to the first post. RITEKG03 is indeed 2x media only.

Yea, I’m going to buy some new dvd-r’s tommorrow. I can’t find anywhere that sells 16x dvd-r / dvd+r :frowning: But I found 8x dvd-r’s for $5 for 5. BTW, Dual Layer dvd’s are expensive…

regards,
jklaroe

Best Buy sells Verbatim 16x DVD+R in 25 disc spindles. $5 for 5 8x DVD-R is too much unless you just want to get a small sample for testing. Best Buy is selling Fujifilm 50-disc DVD spindles (- and +) for $19.99. If they’re 8x and made in Japan they are Taiyo Yuden media, excellent discs. Do you have a BB close by?

Yea I do have a bestbuy close to me. And is Verbatim a good brand to go with?

Thanks in advance,
jklaroe

Yes, Verbatim 8x (and higher) DVD media is good quality.