Liteon sohw-1213s & tsd1?

Hi, I’ve had this drive installed for 8-9 months & reads cd’s / dvds ok also writes cd’s ok. I had never used it to write DVD’s before & now I find it won’t! :sad: I used Nerovision express 2 then tried 3 then tried Nero 7 all same - after 2-3 hours transcoding files it hangs at point when I expect it to start burning. The drive is locked - up, won’t eject, and XP degrades to point of needing forced reboot. ( Task Manager can’t delete Nero ). I’m new to DVD burning so have spent weeks trying s/w changes etc. incl. aspi files in windows, but to no avail. Since CD’s burn ok, I assumed the h/w could be ok. Other threads indicate problems with TSD1 & DL media only, but I have tried +R, -R, +RW & +RDL to no avail, ( all blank media recognised ok in Nero ). Any help welcomed. Should I apply TS0D firmware?? :eek:

update the firmware and test again. if it fails, then the hardware may be defective as cd and dvd writing are two different things for the drive.

Best thing to do with this drive is flash to a 1633 firmware.

a 1653s firmware would be even better, but first let him try if a simple update solves the problem.

I remember some other member did have trouble burning with NeroVision as well. He was advised to do the transcoding in NeroVision but write the videofiles to the hdd. Burn the files in Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express. It’s the way I always do it, it has the advantage to check the files if all is correct before burning. Maybe worth a try?

:iagree: Leo

I tried a different tack! I removed the Liteon drive (labelled model drw-3s121), and fitted a LG GSA-4163B. It also failed to burn a disc, so I tried to simplify the process and merely burn a data (DVD-R) disc. Similar problems with Nero Express; after adding apprx 4.3Gb of files and selecting ‘BURN’, it again appeared to hang up and once again the application could not be terminated even by invoking Task Mgr. I’m now thinking that I’m missing something obvious/basic about burning DVD’s? Any Ideas please. Thanks for help so far.

What media are you using? Which burning speed? Try some good quality media, e.g. Verbatim (look for AZO on the packaging).

I also have a 1213S and it seems happiest with 1653S firmware CS0T.

G

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, I WILL TRY ALL ADVICE GIVEN ONCE I GET TO THE POINT WHEN I FEEL THE MEDIA HAS AT LEAST HAD A WRITE ATTEMPT ( WHICH SO FAR HASN’T HAPPENED!!), SO ALL THE MEDIA I HAVE TRIED IS STILL 100% BLANK, HENCE MY SUSPICION THAT I AM SO FAR DOING SOMETHING FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG. I HAVE TRIED THE FOLLOWING MEDIA (ALWAYS DEFAULTING TO MAX SPEED IN NERO):-
dvd+r 1x>4x Mitsubishi black Diamond, manf id=POMSC001 002.
dvd+rW 1x>4x Mitsubishi black Diamond, manf id=INFODISC A10.
DVD-R 8X,4X DATAWRITE BLUE V5 MANF ID=RITEKG05.
DVD+R DL DATAWRITE 2.4X MANF ID=RITEK D01
SO FOR STARTERS I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME ADVICE ON A SURE FIRE WAY TO PROVE THE DVD WRITING CAPABILITY OF THE WRITER (CURRENTLY THE LG-GSA-4163B) BEFORE REINSTALLING THE LITEON. I AM RUNNING A DIY TOWER
SEMPRON 2600+ (SKT-A) GIGABYTE 7VT600P-RZ, 2x 512Mb DDR400, XP-PRO RUNNING ON MAXTOR SATA 160Gb HDD WITH DUAL BOOT OF OLD W98 SYSTEM ON IDE1 160Gb DRIVE & DVD WRITER ON IDE2 AS MASTER WITH A FREECOM CDRW52K(WITH INTEGRAL F/CARD READER SLOTS), AS SLAVE. BOTH DRIVES READ/WRITE CD’S OK, & THE DVD WRITER(S) READ DVD’S OK, SO I HAVE ASSUMED THE H/WARE IS OK SO FAR. WRITING JUST SEEMS TO RESULT IN NERO HANGING WITHOUT ANY OBVIOUS ACTIVITY ON DRIVE & MEDIA REMAINS BLANK WHEN CHECKED ON INFOTOOL ON RELOADING. HELP!!!

Further info on my problem:- I’ve now proven my 1213S can write to dvd’s by installing on another computer & writing DATA to a +RW with Nero Express. This confirms now that the problem is with my Rig or S/W, I suspect the latter. I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled, but still as before, so now suspect some other S/W problem with W/XP-Pro; any ideas please?

Have you tried burning dvd’s under win98 ?
Because if it that also doesn’t work iwould think it’s a h/w problem.

Yes, Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it a few days ago. I burned a data DVD ok on my setup using the W98 os. So looks like my h/w is ok.
Back to my XP System and problem still there ( but has degraded to the point where nowadays any access to even read a DvD in the burner [still got the LG installed], causes the hang-up, “not responding” from Nero which can’t be ended by Task Mgr. so have to power cycle system to reboot). I then decided to remove Nero 7 and then I could at least read a dvd again, but same problem when writing!! :doh: Using Nero (6.6.0.16 ). Maybe I should delete that too and try a different application to write DvDs :confused:
Any suggestion what would be worth trying? My aim is to burn TV progs/films which I have downloaded from my HUMAX PVR 9200T onto my HDD. They are in raw Transport Stream ? format and have to be re-encoded onto DVD, a job which Nero Vision/Vision Express should be up to. ???

Have you any other software on your system that could interact with the dvd burner?
For example i noticed at least with the pc of my stepfather that he couldn’t burn right when he had “Nero” and “Roxio WinOnCD” installed.( every few month he comes that he can’t burn and every time he got that damn roxio installed again :doh: )
Or maybe a game with StarForce copyprotection ? ( i heard there are some who couldn’t burn anymore with starforce installed )

Do you have an nforce MB if so change the ide drivers to the defaut ide drivers.( not the nvidia ones)
Bruce

Hi Bruce, my motherboard is a SKT-A Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ, which uses VIA chipsets (KT600 & VT8237), so not an Nvidia issue, however, I do have an AGP Nvidia GEFORCE FX5200 graphics card, but I assume the drivers for that should not interfere with DVD burning?
“GUYVER111”:-
I have NERO 6.6.0.16, , windows mediaplayer 10 and something called WINDOWS MEDIA FORMAT RUNTIME ?? installed. Also CLONE-CD, VIDEOLAN-VLC 0.8.4a. I’ve now deleted VIDEO-REDO which has not cured problem.

Thank You !!!
Now I got my 1213S to burn (RITEKF1) Platinum DVD-R 16X discs…
Thanks, I’m happy happy happy …

Glad to hear it, You might want to flash it to a 1653 as MediumRare suggested.
Bruce

Yes thank You. That’s what I did, and got it to work, great !