Liteon SOHC-5236V: High C2 error spike at end of discs! Please help!

Hi there,

I recently bought a new PC, with a Liteon SOHC-5236V drive. So, I can finally do some quality scans with Kprobe. I discovered that a lot of my discs (about 50%, I’d say) have high C2 error spikes at the very end of the burn, between 97% and 100% of the scan. I get so many such results that, frankly, I am not quite sure whether I should believe them.

This is the scan of a Taiyo Yuden CDR which I burned with the Liteon SOHC-5236V today at 40x. As you can see, it looks like a very high quality burn, until the very end, when the C2 errors appear.

However, I must stress that I get very similar scan results on roughly 50% of ALL my discs - even those burned on the old PC, with another drive. And they seem to appear on all media, regardless of quality - good ones like Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim, average ones like Ritek, cheap crap like Acer etc. It’s the same everywhere.

Could it be that this Liteon SOHC-5236V simply has a problem reading the very last sections of a disc? Could it even be something wrong with Kprobe? The mystifying thing is, most of the “affected” discs (the ones that allegedly have these huge C2 errors at the end) seem to be just fine. For example, the ones that have a move, as one large avi file - and as far as I know, the avi header with the most crucial information is stored right at the end of the file / disc, so if there was one, it wouldn’t play as smoothly.

If anyone knows what’s going on, please help! I’m really getting frustrated here. Is it my drive, is it Kprobe, or are my actual burns really as crap as it says? How can I find out what could be wrong here?

Thank you in advance.

Maybe I should mention this, too. I have just scanned the very same disc as above (the Taiyo Yuden) with another program, Nero CD Speed. As you can see, the findings are virtually identical - the same C1 spikes throughout, etc. - until the very end. Nero CD Speed doesn’t find any problems at the end of the disc, no additional C1 errors, and no C2 errors at all.

Does that mean that a) the errors exist, but only Kprobe finds them and CD Speed doesn’t, or b) there are no C2 errors on the disc, it’s a problem with Kprobe, or with a combination of Kprobe and this particular drive? I suspect it might be b), actually. Any ideas, or has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks!