Liteon Slimtype SOSW-852s - can't read CD's

vbimport

Hi all
I have a big problem. While working with itunes, my DVD/CD-Rom-drive stopped reading CD’s. Now it is impossible to read any CD-Rom’s. Even while rebooting the system, the drive doesn’t read CD-Rom’s.
The strange thing is, that reading DVD’s is still possible!!!

I have a Acer Travelmate 4002 Notebook with this Liteon-Drive.

Has anybody an idea, how I can fix this problem? Should I update the firmware?

Thank you for your answers!

I got the exactly same problem. My slimtype SOSW-852 stopped suddenly reading CDs. The weird thing is that it still reads DVDs. It is not the first time it happens and both times it was after a CD burning with very very cheap CDs with Discjuggler (why did I make the stupid mistake twice, I should have thrown away those shitty CDs).
The first time the maker changed the whole laptop since it was only a week after I bought the laptop, but I can’t do that anymore. I bought the laptop in Japan but I am not living there anymore. So I have to find a solution by myself. If some one has an idea please help me. Even if it is hopeless.
When I put a CD now, it makes weird noises as if it couldn’t turn quicky enough, then it stops and tries again and again…

I just had the same problem with my laptop about the Slimtype not reading CD´s…
I was wondering if anyone ever found a solution to solve the problem?
It has been 6 months now since I got my laptop ( Acer Aspire 1363 WLMi ) and I actually never had a problem with it until today… :confused: :sad:

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

do you have solved the problem with slimtype?if you dou tell mee how pls, because me too I had that problem, now the dvd-rw can read only few kind of cd and dvd.

Please look in the LiteOn/Sony forum instead.
[thread]108852[/thread]

If the drive used to read CDs fine and just stopped reading CDs, then it’s most likely to be a physical problem with the drive. Call tech support and get the drive replaced.

My Liteon Slimtype SOSW-852S can’t read some CD’s. Its really wierd. It reads DVD’s and some factory cd’s like authentic micrososft software (not copied). It does not read any copied CD’s. It reads music cd’s from the store, but not home made music cd’s or any cd’s including, home made vcd’s, s-vcd’s and pretty much anything thats not from the store.

I see that many people had problems on this topic. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? Did you have this problem with an averatec laptop or something similar. If so, please respond.

I am under warranty but, I dont know if my warranty covers this. I am also not sure if they could really fix it. Its such a headache. :doh:

Please help me. Im desperate!!! :bow:

I see that many people had problems on this topic. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? Did you have this problem with an averatec laptop or something similar. If so, please respond.

I see that many people had problems on this topic. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? Did you have this problem with an averatec laptop or something similar. If so, please respond. Tell me what they did. Did they send you a new drive?