LiteOn SHM-165P6S vs. LH-20A1P

vbimport

Hey folks! Time for me to buy my next burner… and as you can see, I have comfortably settled on LiteOn. :bigsmile:

However, for the life of me I cannot find enough information to make up my mind between these two models! :sad:

Does anybody know first hand what dis/advantages one drive has over the other? Anything I should specifically know?

…- I hear there was a small lead-in problem with the 20A1P… has that been fixed with its latest firmware(s)?

…- Which drive would you guys say has the most mature (and/or future) firmware / support?

…- I usually burn Verbatim MCC004 (PAPA) @ 6X-16X & Taiyo Yuden T02 @ 6X-12X, so I’m not terribly concerned with speed or media compatibility (aside from the aformentioned of course).

…- Both drives feature SB/HT/OHT, right? Does the 20A1P do a better job at tackling these than the 165P6S?

Thanks to any and all who can shed some light on this subject!

Also, if you happen to know any relavent information that has already been posted regarding these drives when compared directly to each other – please let me know!

By “compatibility” I mean support. I don’t need support for other/no-name media… as I have my trusty BenQ DW1655 for that.

I’m just looking for a drive that’ll burn one or two brands of media, and burn them well. :wink:

Also, both these drives burn 8X using P-CAV strategies, right? No Z-CLV nonsense like the Pioneer and LG drives?

Yes. definitely P-CAV! :slight_smile:
IIRC the lead-in problem existed with the 6S and not with the A1 but has been fixed with firmware. The 6S is definitely the more mature drive compared to the LH-20A1P and is less buggier (the A1 have bugs like being unable to do DVD+RW erasing or sometimes failing while ripping DVD-Video discs).

Thanks KG for the input!

Although mature, I wonder if firmware support for the 165P6S will be abandoned in an effort to improve upon the 20A1H…

I have a 165 and it had some problems with MCC 004 I never figured out so I use it only for scanning now. I would go with the LH 20A1P if I were to replace it. It seems to be as good as anything I did with my 165. It is not a case of the older being better like we saw with the NEC 3500.

BTW, what do you mean by Z-CLV nonsense? I find that my Pioneer 111 and both my LGs are better than any of my Liteons. Not being confrontational, just curious.

Curiosity is a beautiful thing. :smiley:

I guess I shouldn’t have said nonsense, sorry. :o CLV, even in zones, is much easier to burn (and get right) than CAV. I burn ALL my Yuden T02 media at 6X CLV on my AD-7170A. :iagree:

The thing is, I really don’t enjoy the 4X-8X Z-CLV write strategy on my LG H22N, that’s all. Almost two minutes of writing at 4X before jumping to 8X just doesn’t float my boat! At least they could start at 6X like my Optiarc AD-7170A does.

I’m interested in getting a Lite-On because 8X to them is a nice flat line after a short CAV intro. No zones to worry about, no interruptions, no relinking, no rings on my discs, etc. Just a personal preference I guess. :bigsmile:

Now if they could only release a drive that could perform pure 8X CLV! :cool:

chas0039, did you try MSOP firmware for the 165? I had problems with my 165 with MCC004 using original firmware and latest MSOR firmware, but flash back to MSOP firmware resulted in burning MCC004 very well. BTW I also had best results with SmartBurn disabled for SL media.

I tried a few different options, and MS0N was the best and solved the leadin problem. The problem started when I went to a newer firmware that trashed my MMC 004. When I went back to MS0N the MCC was still bad even after clearing the burn memory. No matter what, it was still bad even though other media ID was OK. As half of what I burn was MCC 004, I just retired the Liteon to scanning.

Do you happen to remember which newer firmware was actually bad?

My LiteOn SHW-16H/35S learned something wrong about YUDEN000 T03 (because I mixed two different batches) and firmware LV4D, which resulted in a large clump of PIF at the start of each burn, and after clearing the memory it didn’t work either.

Now I usually feed my LG and Plex with T03, my Litey only gets MCC media now :slight_smile:

I smell a design flaw here…

I am not sure, but I seem to recall it was MS0P. Something strange surely is going on as mine will just not do MCC 004 the same way. It is also possible there are slight differences in media batches and the Liteon was overly sensitive, but none of the other 12 burners I have are so picky. In any case, it scans, and thet is waht I needed it for primarily as every other burner loves my MCC.

I am not sure, but I seem to recall it was MS0P. Something strange surely is going on as mine will just not do MCC 004 the same way. It is also possible there are slight differences in media batches and the Liteon was overly sensitive, or maybe there is a flaw in the learning and it won’t clear, but none of the other 12 burners I have are so picky. In any case, it scans, and that is what I needed it for primarily as every other burner loves my MCC.

Just to give y’all an update… I finally gave in and bought the 20A1H this week. :iagree:

I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying the quality of burns this drive is giving me!