LiteOn SHM-165P6S, READ CD related firmware bug

Hi!

I’m currently playing with SCSI commands, writing a somewhat generic tool to issue SCSI commands. While being at it, this toy project evolved to a low-level back-up tool. I tested it on some scratched CD-DAs and found a bug in the MS0M firmware version.

Reading the SCSI MMC-5 draft (http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/mmc5/mmc5r03b.pdf), page 392 (PDF page 444) states the order of data to be returned from the drive:

For CD-DA, this is basically:

• WAV data
  • C2 error bits
  • C2 summary (+ pad)
  • SubChannel data.

I checked with some different drive (PHILIPS DROM6216, Fw. DD07) returns data as expected, but the SHM-165P6S returns it in this order:

• WAV data
  • SubChannel data
  • C2 error bits
  • C2 summary (+ pad)

Also, the pad byte isn’t 0x00, and the summary byte isn’t the ORed value of all the single C2 error bytes. The wrong data order unfortunately fsck’es up TOC checking, because when trying to access the SubChannel data, my application actually gets the C2 data.

Unfrtunately, the LiteOn web site doesn’t name the current version. Additionally, there’s only a Windows update program and my machines are all Unix and Linux based… So I’d need to get the drive off the machine and visit some friends to try an update, not even knowing if there’s one actually available… Anybody saw this issue before?

Thanks,
Jan-Benedict

You probably want to post this in the LiteOn specific section. You might get a response from Wind or someone that way.

jbglaw, welcome to cdfreaks. I’ve moved your thread to the LiteOn DVD Burner forum.

Hi and welcome!

Recent official firmware is MS0P.

Unfrtunately, the LiteOn web site doesn’t name the current version.
It does :wink: Pointing your mouse cursor on the download link will show you the filename. Part of the filename is firmware revision.

Additionally, there’s only a Windows update program
This is an unnecessary restriction as there is a DOS-flasher for Sony DW-G120A MYS4 (Same hardware as SHM-165P6S).
Also you may check http://codeguys.rpc1.org as there are “special” versions, maybe this will be helpful for flashing in a DOS environment using XSF.

So I’d need to get the drive off the machine and visit some friends to try an update, not even knowing if there’s one actually available…
There is. And there is a firmware announcement thread here in the Liteon section. In addition, there are several threads about some firmwares.

Michael